My 80-year-old mother says she feels off balance, has trouble walking and has fallen a few times. Does anyone have any idea what is causing this?

The doctors have ruled out vertigo and any inner ear problems, but they can't seem to figure it out. She has been to several doctors and I feel like we're back to square one. She has always been a very active, independant and healty person. Does anyone have any ideas on what this could be or direct me as to which type of doctor she needs to see?

24

Answers

1 2 3
I would suggest a cane, but it really sounds like she needs a walker.

As you can see by all these answers, dizziness and falling are a common problem. A therapist noticed my aunts shoes were too flat (converse sneakers). I had vertigo from the inner ear crystals. So, make her a few appointments and keep after it until her condition improves. If you hit on the solution, the problem will usually almost instantly improve. Until it does, try to get her to use a cane or walker to be on the safe side. Ask her dr to order PT to learn how to use the aid properly.

Has she been evaluated by a neurologist for a silent stroke also known as TIA? My mother suffered balance and walking problems right after a TIA hit her brain.

My mom does this too. She falls or almost falls daily. Her doctor did tests and her heart will "misfire" at odd times and down she goes. Now, my daughter is doing the same thing and her diagnosis is exactly the same as moms.

When you go to a doctor, I strongly recommend a Gerontologist. Both my husband and I received a much better physical exam including testing from the one we went to than either family doctor.

This may seem too simple, but I hope it is this!
Have her ears checked for excess or impacted wax. My mother had her ears cleaned by a nurse, and a LUMP fell out. I myself thought my hearing had diminished, and AFTER a professional cleaning I was briefly dizzy until my balance adjusted!

Hi Shawn,

My mother had the same symptoms. I took her to an ear specialist where they found that the "crystals" in her ear were out of place and wrote a prescription for specialized physical therapy.  The therapist performed the Epley Maneuver which helped her dizziness immediately.

Wishing you the best on your journey to help her.
Kit

I had a problem of feeling of balance and through my HMO I found that physical therapy could help that. Also I read of statins causing dizziness in elderly people and asked my Dr. about that and stopped taking my cholesterol med and my dizziness subsided.

My mother-in-law fell several times before the doctor diagnosed her with a leaky valve in her heart hope this helps

My mother-in-law was diagnosed with a leaky valve in her heart that was what was making her fall

1 2 3