Follow
Share

She had a minor stroke on the left side of her brain recently. She also has a tumor (benign) pressing on her spinal cord. It has not gotten any larger but she is faced with decision to either have surgery (many risks involved, paralysis, death), but if it is successful will be able to walk and better quality of life. OR not have surgery, take the risk of hoping the tumor does not get any larger, but if it DOES, she is faced with paralysis from the neck down the rest of her life as she will become weaker. Her heart is fine, she is recovering from the stroke at rehab, but we need to help her make a decision. Im not asking for an answer just some opinions on this. She walks with a walker as of now, but is weak from the stroke. If she does not want surgery, we will get as much help as needed but just the thought of her being paralyzed like that just breaks our hearts. ALSO, if faced with paralysis she is on medicare and medicaid, will this cover the immense costs of this??? She has no other monies at all, just social security check once a month.

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Can they do radiation on the tumor? Surgery at that age is hard on them...anesthesia can cause them delirium/hallucination for days to weeks after. Plus with her having a stroke, I would definitely get a 2nd or 3rd opinion.
Helpful Answer (1)
Report

What has been the effects from this last stroke? How recent was it? Have you had the opportunity to see just how she is faring mentally since that stroke? I ask because I'd be very intent to see what if any cognitive damage that stroke brought.

There is so much to consider. I do not envy you at all. I would explore all other options and discuss the concern with anesthesia in depth. Have you gotten a second opinion?
Helpful Answer (1)
Report

Does she have any issues related to dementia? If so the anesthesia could accelerate that disease. If no dementia, the anesthesia could cause symptoms of it from which she may or may not recover. Have her doc's talked at all about the risk of anesthesia and brain function? Not an easy decision, for sure.
Helpful Answer (1)
Report

Have any of the doctor mention there may be a chance to shrink the tumor through immune therapy? Or maybe this type of tumor wouldn't respond to this.

It is a tough decision since there are risks if she does have surgery, and risks if she doesn't. I would go back to one of your questions from earlier on and re-read the answers. https://www.agingcare.com/questions/moms-head-symptoms-anxiety-related-223887.htm
Helpful Answer (1)
Report

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter