Mother has dementia, having a hard time keeping her eyes open and sleeps a lot. Is this normal for dementia? - AgingCare.com

Mother has dementia, having a hard time keeping her eyes open and sleeps a lot. Is this normal for dementia?

Unsure of what to do...my father is her caregiver...is getting very worried due to her struggling to keep her eyes open.

19

Answers

my mother is in her final stages of dementia...sleeps most of the time...thank god she can't do anything else!! let these poor loved ones die in peace...why do you want to prolong their life anyway????

Jolene Brackery writes in Creating Moments of Joy
She might ready to leave this world and go home. It should be OK to go home ..."
"It is more difficult for a person with dementia to "go home

Jeannegibbs was right on point with information. Its also hard and informative and scary seeing others go thru things that I know may not be far off for me.

Jennifer my heart goes out to you and family.

nadene, you may get more responses if you start your own thread about this topic.

I suggest you consult a speech pathologist if your husband is bothered by his impairments. My husband had several speech lessons, with some homework. He did not necessarily remember what he learned but if it was important I'd remind him and he could make himself heard and understood.

JenniferM, my heart goes out to you, your father and your mother. That is so young to be in final stage dementia! Hospice will help you call through this last leg of the journey.

Besides life's end stage, you might want to consider whether or not your mom is taking a certain type of medication that's making her sleep more than normal. Medication was mentioned here, and you may want to read all of the labels very carefully to see if any of her medications cause drowsiness. Some medications that cause drowsiness should only be taken at night when you go to bed. You may also want to speak to the patient's Dr. Dehydration was also mentioned here, and yes it definitely can make you a little tired along with being nutrient deficient. Regardless of age, both of these factors is enough to make anyone tired. Lack of physical activity is another factor that could make you very tired after a while. Physical activity is very important to keep us strong and healthy. You need not be a bodybuilder to be healthy, but everyone needs a certain level of physical activity to keep the blood moving. You'd be surprised how little physical activity works wonders to stop a drowsy feeling. The same goes with staying hydrated and on top of nutrition, especially where you're deficient

Thank you ALL for the responses. Hospice paperwork has been started. After seeing her primary doc and evaluation for pallative care...hospice care is what she will start receiving. She is 71 years old and her dementia progressed very rapidly, lost over 100 pounds in the last year. Prayers are appreciated.

This is off the topic of sleeping a lot, but still pertains to my husband age 91. While awake, he makes a funny sound like hmm,hmmm,hmm, and when he does talk, he stutters a lot. If we have company and he's engaged in a game, he doesn't seem to do it, but, when he talks to me he stutters. Doesn't bother me, but it does him. He can't seem to project his voice or clear it properly. Anyone else have these kind of issues? Thanks.

I dont know I think my grandmother dosed for years before she eventually passed at 91. My mother is 80 and active. But she does dose off a lot.