My mother with colon cancer advanced stage. - AgingCare.com

My mother with colon cancer advanced stage.

My mom had been diagnosed with colon cancer about a year ago. Operation revealed metastatic cancer. She was told that operation just will prolong her life but that no chemo or anything will help. About two months ago she started to lose weight rapidly and gets very tired. She now does not come out of her apartment and she is on hospice at home. But there is no pain except legs swelling. She never ate much- so now she does not eat much but otherwise- no other issues. Her pressure is Ok.. I am wondering if that stage can last long or not. I am thinking of moving her to another city, where we bought a house, but it is not clear.

22

Answers

1 3
Oh how I agree with Jinx 4740, antidepressants every time, especially for aggressive grumpy but terrified old pa's!!! 🌞

thanks again: I have r to go to another state and see the nursing home there.. then I get back and see what is happening with my mom... She actually wants to do 'something'.. There never was any chemo- the doctors said it would have killed her earlier, she refused the chemo anyway. The metastatic cancer was discovered during the surgery and there is a pathology report which identifies liver and other organs affected.. She does not eat much at all.

She sounds in pretty good shape for stage 4 cancer, so she might live another 18 months if she eats and drinks. The surgery will fix the colon cancer problem, but the other problem is where the cancer went. She could quallify for a trail with ClinicalTrials.gov. But a trail lose her hospise because they are not interested in life extension. If she has no pain then loss of hospise is not a bad thing. Sounds like the doctor has given up. You might want a second opinion. The leg swelling may be due to her not being able to put her legs up. Petechiae - pinpoint bruising can be caused by vitamin‎ deficienty. There is a type of bruising (widespread red bruse patterns under the skin) that is taken for a sure sign the end is near. But my mother had that while in the hospital for pneumonia after they tried to have her sit in a chair. But it disappears when she was lying down and she lived and walked another 4 years. What are her wishes? Good luck.

I cared for my father during his death from colon cancer. Your mother is probably past this, but I had two things I would do differently.

Give him an antidepressant and lie about it. He was stubborn and suffered unnecessarily.

Make SURE she is getting enough pain medication. My father had low-level pain, not screaming pain, but I would definitely drug him more.

MarkLLL: Absolutely do not move her! My late aunt, an RN, had colon cancer for about 5 years and deceased at age 76. My late uncle had colon cancer and lasted only 2 months-age about 87. He refused to get a colonoscopy and so did my aunt, who was a medical professional. Deadly MISTAKES!

Great answers, thanks!

My husband lives in another state alone, with a son who works but helps out. He's had several rounds of chemo and recent surgery to remove what's left of the cancer. But this summer while in the hospital after a bad chemo experience he had a heart attack. The recent surgery included putting a stent in one of his coronary arteries. He called me a week ago to tell me he's back in the hospital for an infection from the stent and pneumonia. He's 85. Several months ago his other son moved back to Colorado and planned to move his father there to be cared for by him and his wife. It got postponed to November. It doesn't look like he'll be able to move, which is too bad.

My suggestion: ask the doctors if your mother is able to move. But it sounds like you've already made plans for her to stay where she is. If you can do that, go ahead. I think moving at this point would hasten her death.

As Arianne suggested, look into HOSPICE Specific places both near her home, and near your new home. If your new place is only a short (less than 3-4 hour) drive away it's doable, otherwise, I'd keep her close to home. We had my Mom at home on Hospice, and the last 8 days in a Hospice Hospital, where that is All they did, and it worked out best for all of us. Ask your Hospice team, if they have a facility that they work with. I'm so sorry this is happening to her and your family. I hate Cancer!

I want to congratulate all who offered advice. Colon cancer requires monitoring to assure the patient is not in pain. On this Labor Day-we thank all caregivers for THEIR LABOR OF LOVE.

Packing at home is always the best. I brought my husband home. If you can, it would be so much better for her. If not, someone should be with her at all times in the hospital. The last hours can be beautiful depending on the faith of the person. My husband died shouting, He is Beautiful....

1 3