Mother believes bugs are eating her inside and out.

Mom has been to a psychiatrist as the bugs are not real. This has been going on for 2 years and she is changing clothes 4 and 5 times a day. She insists on vaginal medicine that she keeps getting prescriptions for that. Her doctor said diabetics often have yeast problems. She is constantly complaining at the age of 79 and thinks all drs are just getting money and not listening.. I realize she is getting old and there are lots of little issues. But the "bugs" are making her life miserable and me too.

30

Answers

1 2 3
Jinglebts, sounds like there's literally an epidemic of mosquitoes. Bring out the tiki torches! And of course the citronella candles. I'm wondering if fly paper would catch them....

Blannie, I've found the Environmental Working Group website to be a very informative source of toxins as well, and the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics also is helpful. I believe it's the latter that had information on lead in lipstick. I just cringed when I thought of using lipstick for years while I was working. I wish I had known then what I know now.

Well, blannie, only in "the bush" as we call it, and you have to wear blackfly nets. Mosquito nets won't do, as the holes in the netting are big enough to fly in, but the "little buggers" can't find their way out. My ex learned that sad lesson. His face was swollen and red for a week. I myself have never suffered them.

Now wasps -- they're a different matter. I was stung by one MULTIPLE TIMES while trying to enjoy some lunch and a glass of wine at a restaurant patio. And my daughter's back yard is full of ground wasps.

Ow ow ow ow OWWWW!

Do a google search for "the dirty dozen" and the "clean fifteen" and you'll get a list from the Environmental Working Group about the cleanest and dirtiest fruits and veggies relative to pesticides. Jinglebts I love Canada, but you guys also have black flies! I traveled to Quebec camping one June (when I was a mere child of 19, LOL) and OMG, my boyfriend and I were just about eaten alive by those little buggers. They'd bite our scalps in the parts in our hair!! I was never so happy to leave a place as I was that camping trip! Mosquitoes and black flies...shudder.

ff: Chocolate has caffeine in it. I tend to get gastritis, so if I drink coffee, it has to be decaf; I have to limit my chocolate and my drinking; and I can't take NSAIDS. The biggest thing I miss is aspirin for inflammation.

GA: I grew up in Winnipeg, which is at the confluence of two rivers, the Red and the Assiniboine, and there is much standing water there (also it's flat, so the water has no place to go). I had never seen so many mosquitoes in my life. I've since fetched up in a village near Lake Huron, which the Nottawaga River flows thru', in a community that has a lot of man-made lakes scattered thru' it. I have no idea where they might breed, as the lakes are not stagnant. The only thing I can think is that we had a lot more rain this year than in others so they might breed in marshy land and puddles. I've never had to use deterrents here before, but I think I'd better buy some citronella candles.

I too am shocked to learn abt celery (which I only found out abt on this thread) and I am appalled to know that there are at least 15?? pesticides in it! I knew abt strawberries and apples. What are we to do tho'? We can't buy organic from the food stores (well, not much), and do farmers' markets do organic?
It looks like global warming is going to do us in. If the fires and floods don't get us, the bugs will. (Or Trump.) Faugh.

Jinglebts, do you live near a pond, swamp, marsh? I'm wondering why there are so many mosquitoes in your area. That must take a lot of pleasure out of living there - mosquitoes are soooo nasty.

Have your daughter avoid celery for several days and see if the itching still occurs. It could be that she's hypersensitive to either the celery or one of the chemicals in it.

I'm going to check my research on celery; I recall that one article stated celery had been tested for pesticides before and after washing. The pesticides weren't necessarily on the outside only; they were inside the celery; they were systemic.

I do recall that one test found 15 different pesticides in celery, and that it was one of the most contaminated foods examined. I knew apples and strawberries were pretty well drenched in insecticides as well, but I was shocked to learn that about celery.

Ff and GA: My daughter is allergic to celery (very itchy throat and ears, numb lips), but it never occurred to me that it might be the pesticides -- ie, that it is NOT organic. I'll have to tell her.

I grew up in a mid-western city that has the worst mosquito concentration on the continent. We couldn't WAIT for the city to spray with DDT. (I actually liked the smell of it -- about 60 years ago, that was.) That self-same city is even more infested, but if one neighbour in an area complains, no spraying is allowed (not DDT, but I don't know what they use). I know of ppl who died in the bush from mosquitoes and I wouldn't be surprised if they died in the city too. You have to literally run from the back door to the gazebo, counting on bug spray to work during the 30-second dash.

I'm off topic. But Iwo days ago I had to run from my car the five feet to my front door. I HATE them. [[[shiver]]]

Sendme2help, thanks for the tip about night time chocolate... I will make a mental note of that to keep my hand out of the Hershey Kisses bowl as I have GERD, too. I will see if it makes any difference. I have also cut out cola for supper [love my Cherry Coke] but while in bed the GERD tries to get my attention.

My mother was diagnosed wth delusional parasitosis.It was 2 or 3 years ago. I took her to a psychiatrist but she refuses any medications that make her brain weird. It is very hard for all of us. I can't imagine the torment she feels as the doctors don't see her bugs or bug bites and so she wants a different doctor. I wondered if there is anyone else that experienced this with their parents. My brother was killed in a car wreck in 2009 and mom did not handle it like we all thought she would. She internalized, I sometimes wonder if that could trigger this.

GA, We may be legal eagles?

1 2 3