Is there any financial assistance to modify access in a 78-year-old’s bathroom with decreasing mobility? - AgingCare.com

Is there any financial assistance to modify access in a 78-year-old’s bathroom with decreasing mobility?

My mother lives with us. She can no longer step over the side of the tub to get into the shower. I will have to take the tub out and replace it with a shower so that she will be able to access it. My question is: Is there any money available out there (eithrt some kind of grant or Gov money) to help me get this done.

2

Answers

I have heard of handymen that help seniors in such a situation at a very decreased rate/almost nothing. Home Depot has a program I believe for elders and/or handicapped people who qualify. They donate material and workers donate thier time. There are many things available you just have to ask questions at such places reasearch in hardware stores etc. I believe boyscouts or youth groups may help elders with such things as a lawn cut etc.

Is your mother on any kind of financial assistance now -- Medicaid, county or state programs for the elderly, etc.? If so, that would be the place to start. My husband's case worker just made a home visit and said to be sure to contact her when considering home modifications, because often some portion can be covered.

• Tips for how caregivers can talk about money and finances with elderly parents. Financial discussions shouldn’t be taboo as your parents age. Failing to talk about money matters with your parents could put you in a difficult position when it’s time to take over their financial decisions.
  • 401(k) plans are an employer-sponsored benefit that enables workers to set aside money towards their retirement. How do you decide which kind of 401(k) plan is best for you? Very carefully.
  • Many common retirement myths are completely false and end up harming your financial situation. With proper planning, you can help your parents continue to create wealth until their retirement and beyond. Avoiding overly conservative financial decisions can truly pay off.
  • Seniors who depend on a fixed income to fund their retirement are vulnerable to inflation, but proper planning and investing can safeguard their spending power.
  • There are undeniable benefits to purchasing an annuity, but there are many different types. Careful planning and consideration are required to find one that is the best fit for your financial situation.
  • Bells are ringing all over town as charities ramp up appeals for holiday donations. Use these simple strategies to give confidently and maximize your charitable efforts this season.