My Mom has a new roommate and she keeps turning off the heat. What can I do? - AgingCare.com

My Mom has a new roommate and she keeps turning off the heat. What can I do?

I have reported it to the adm. and they keep saying they will fix the stat so she can't turn it off. That was 2 weeks ago and nothing has been done. What can I do? My mother is 101 and is freezing.

3

Answers

We went to the nursing home today and everything is fixed. They put something on the stat so the roommate can't shut it off or anything. She isn't happy but my 101 year old mom is nice and warm. The roommate has asked to be move HURRAH!!!!!!!

Have mom put a bag of ice on the stat and she will get heat no matter what it is set at.

Is your mother in a memory care community or assisted living? We have found that with our mother who is in memory care, we have to go to the head person. Either the head nurse or the person in charge of pubic relations/the director of the community. Can you move your mother into another room with someone who is more compatible with her needs? Your mother should be kept comfortable no matter what, I would think this would be very important to the director of the community.

Continue to pursue it as you are the advocate so don't be afraid of to be forceful.
Hugs to you!!!

• If your elderly loved one dies while they are staying in a nursing home, can you sue the home for wrongful death? Nursing homes can include special passages—called "binding arbitration clauses"—in their contracts with residents to limit their chances of being taken to court.
  • Nursing homes of the past were known as institution-like environments, where people went to die. Today's nursing homes have been modernized and are comfortable home-like settings and have changed over time.
  • Sometimes people avoid visiting their elderly parents in a nursing home because of guilt, stress or other emotions. Learn how to deal with these and what you can do if you feel reluctant to visit an elderly loved one in a nursing home.