Is it legal for my Mom's husband to sign her medical documents using his first name and her maiden name for his last name? - AgingCare.com

Is it legal for my Mom's husband to sign her medical documents using his first name and her maiden name for his last name?

My mother was on hospice care. It was brought to my attention that he signed documents with his first name and used his last name as her maiden name. To me it sounds like fraud. Seems like he is trying to cover something up or not be accountable for any impending cost that wasn't covered by medicaid/medicare. Does anyone have an information?

7

Answers

Yes I would love to hear his explanation as well. I'm still looking for answers. Might just have to see an attorney. Does anyone know the correct attorney to contact?

Wait--- he signed using **his** first name? Very very strange. Maybe ask him why he does that. Would love to hear his explanation.

How is her Medicare listed? Sometimes people use slight variations from their legal name, and their preferred to be called, name.

I should add that I don't know if he could be arrested for signing a name that is not his, but it is not a valid signature. It is a bit like signing John Doe. I wonder if he might have been confused after doing the paperwork, thinking about what your mother's maiden name was and all.

Well, it's not his legal name, so no, it isn't the way he should have signed. Most peculiar.

Thank you for your help, but my main concern here is the fact how the husband signed the medical documents with his first name and her maiden name as his last name. Do you or anyone else have any info on rather that is truly legal for him to do?

Here's an article from this website about hospice and how it is covered:

https://www.agingcare.com/articles/Medicare-coverage-hospice-care-142914.htm

• Elderly scams are the most common form of fraud. Here are some tips for caregivers to help their elderly parents avoid becoming victims of scams.
  • If you think you have fallen victim to a scammer’s phishing, follow these steps to protect your identity and finances.
  • Identity theft is a serious issue that everyone is at risk for. Some specialized companies claim to protect their subscribing customers from data breaches and compromised identities, but are they really that effective? Can't you just monitor and safeguard your financial and personal information yourself?
  • Elderly people are often looking for ways to increase their net worth, or pay for assisted living or nursing homes. Selling their most valueable asset - the home - can provide a quick cash infusion. But scammers have found ways to conduct real estate fraud targeted at elders.
  • Avoiding the Internet won't protect you from fraud. If you do not set up your online accounts you are enabling an identity thief to do it for you.