Mom's going to the bathroom every 5-10 minutes. Any advice? - AgingCare.com

Mom's going to the bathroom every 5-10 minutes. Any advice?

Thanks for all you good people here willing to share your experience. I dont feel quite so alone after finding this site.
Thanks.
Mom has started going to the bathroom every 5-10 minutes just lately. She had an UI so I know how damaging those can be but that is not the case this time. I dont know whether she is forgetting that she just went or what the deal is.
I dont think that she actually needs to go this often because when she is a sleep she doesnt wake to go but about 4 -5 times a night.
Is this like the "eating thing" and she is just simply forgetting that she just went ? Anyone else having this issue?

15

Answers

Thanks Linda. I had asked her if she was having any itching and while bathing her saw no indication of a problem. m y sister took her out for the day yesterday and said that she only had to go twice. Im beginning to think it is boredom but cant seem to get her interested in doing things.

Just a thought, if she won't pee at the doctor's office, then she probably doesn't have to 'go' every 5 to 10 minutes at home....could she have vaginal itch or perhaps a yeast infection? That might also explain all the toilet paper use....maybe she is just very itchy. Just a thought might just want to give her some vagisil to see if that helps some.

My grandma only does that when her sugar is high or when she has an UTI. I'd check with her doctor because while UTI can affect some people a lot others show almost no signs at all until it's really bad. I know when my grandma get them, at first she shows almost no symptoms and then all the sudden with her dementia, she goes crazy. She sees things, has to go to the potty every few minutes, forgets who we are and you'd think she was fully losing her memory completely instead of gradually. I feel your pain as I just went through that with my grandma and let me tell you, the nights 5 to 10 minutes is tough!

I would get her to a urologist to see if she has an overactive bladder. Going every five to 10 minutes seems like there's more going on...good luck with finding out what is wrong and helping her get treated.

Thanks guys! We use 1-ply from Sams. I wonder if AS makes a 1-ply. Bless my MIL. Every time she slips into s potty someone is outside the door politely asking her to flush. OK my FIL is less polite then the rest of us! I just really want those auto flush attachments! We have the power flush tall toilets already 😄

Thanks Pam. I had called her PC and he asked me to take her over to our local Miners Rest Hospital and give them a sample because Mom wont go when we get her to the Dr's office and takes up to much office time.
Then she refused to pee in a sterile jar here at home and couldnt understand why she couldnt do it at the hospital lab.
What a freaking fiasco.
Finally got her to go and the dip stick said "negative"

We changed out our toilets to super flush, comfort height, elongated bowl and we are ALL more comfortable with them. No more clogs. Check it out.

Every 5-10 minutes? There is something wrong, possibly anxiety over having another UTI, or an ACTUAL UTI and I would be calling the MD TODAY

We were having sewer backup problems here. I think it was mainly toilet tissue clogs by my mother not flushing very often. The toilet would be thick with toilet paper. I did a couple of things since our sewer is bad to back up. I put a covered trash can in the bath that she can put toilet tissue in when she doesn't plan to flush. And I switched from Charmin to Angel Soft, because Angel Soft is supposed to break apart faster than Charmin. I have my fingers crossed that it will help with the sewer problems here. It was getting expensive to have them come snake the line so often. And the cost of repairing or replacing the sewage line was highway robbery.

Sioshelton, we switched to single ply TP for that very reason. For a while, MIL was running through several rolls a day. Now that some time has passed, even though she still goes to the bathroom frequently, she doesn't use nearly as much paper and we have switched back to a more comfortable 2-ply. I'm not sure what was going on in her brain to make her pull off so much paper each visit.

JessieBelle, I also look at the many trips a day as exercise. That and going to the table are often the only times she gets out of her chair anymore when we're at home.

Panapal, I think my MIL does forget she just went. Just like sometimes she forgets we just ate. I haven't discussed it with her dr. yet, but I think she does have weak muscles. A lot of times, the trips are because she is constipated, but she won't admit to it, she just keeps going and trying to "go" . I have to really watch her and read the signs. Since she still toilets herself, sometimes it's a challenge.