Mom is 90 years old and her feet have been swelling up lately. Is this some sort of warning sign?

21

Answers

1 2 3
My Moms feet started swelling. She had high BP and one kidney working half capacity. Dr said just to elevate her feet. She sat most of the day.

Guys, My mother's hand swells like a ballon at night. She was told to keep her hands above the heart, while sleeping, but it difficult to maintain during sleep. Have seen multiple doctors but everyone says it's aging. She is 80 years old.

Can you guys please recommend some treatments, which can resolve this issue? This issue keeps her up all night, most of the days.
Reply to Sid001

If MIL is bedridden then elevation isn't going to do the trick...

PattyMae, other than looking for injuries to her limbs, has your MIL been thoroughly checked out by a doctor? Is she on any medication?

Read the posts above, lots of good advice.
Reply to Shane1124

My mother law is pre diabetic and bedridden. Feet swell and now one thigh is collecting fluid. She's been examine and no breaks. What can be down to get her feet to go down?
Reply to PattyMae12

The three care measures to use in these situations are elevation of the lower extremities, compression stockings and water pills (diuretics). Also limit salt intake as salt causes fluid retention.
Cellulitis can develop easily if the fluid remains. While the person often bucks sitting with their legs elevated, it must be done. Walking helps to get the veins working in the legs to assist the blood in getting back up to the heart, but usually walking is hard to do when the person has such heavy swollen legs.
Lymphedema can cause the above as well and is not easily treated. It’s a chronic condition. Often the PCP can order a device worn on the legs for intermittent compression. The person has to go and get measured for this device and the family taught how to use it. The pump is considered durable medical equipment and you will need a prescription for it.
Usually lower extremity swelling in the elderly is due to CHF, chronic venous insufficiency, poor nutrition (low albumin) or renal disease. Have the person thoroughly examined by their PCP with lab work, ultrasound of lower extremities, echocardiogram, etc to make sure they are prescribed the right medication for their disease but the first thing is someone has to determine the cause or diagnosis.
Reply to Shane1124

My mother has cellulitis on her legs from bring sedentary... her legs looked all blistered and scabby. I have tried a lot of other products, but nothing worked as well as the Made from Earth Pure Aloe Skin Treatment. Within three days her legs were definitely much better, and after a week of using this just once a day, the problem is almost gone.
Reply to milandebrousse

Mother in law has very puffy swollen feet. Rapid response team are coming out to see her today. She sleeps in a chair doesn’t ever lay down or walk about much. She’s 96
Reply to Iinlaw

My mom has swollen feet doctor says no heart problem she refuses to were those stocking what can I do for her
Reply to Helenjos1

Reply to Helenjos1

1 2 3