Mom's dying and I'm scared of how I'll be able to go on without her. Any advice?

My mom is 86 and dying. Hospice comes in just about everyday, and they update me as to how much time they think she has left. She's starting to breathe harder and I'm getting scared. I have been with her my entire life and became her caregiver about ten years ago. She's in a coma right now. I have to roll her over every few hours. I'm here alone with her, so they told me to do it every four hours, so I could try to sleep. I'm scared I'll go crazy and not be able to function. I'm going to have to get another job a couple of weeks after her death, since my I was a paid caregiver for mom. I want to make it through the grief, but I'm scared that I won't be able to handle it. Anyone felt that way?

19

Answers

LL, I am so sorry for your loss. My mom was a touchy feely, and I always pushed her away. Just too much touchy feely for me. It always felt like she was joking around.

Oh, honey, I am so sorry. Thank you for letting us know. None of us know each other on this forum, yet we know each other on a deeper level than most of our family and friends. I'm relieved you and your family were able to spend those precious several hours together before she was taken.

May sweet memories of your mother bring you peace. We're right there with you.

I'm so sorry. It's really hard to lose someone you love.

I am sorry for your loss. My mom wasn't touchy-feely either and as she approached her end, I got to love on her more than I had ever before. I treasured that time - smoothing her hair, stroking her cheek, singing to her, holding her hand. I also spent time alone with her after she passed. You will remember those precious moments with her. {{{Hugs}}}

My mother died this morning. I woke up and found that she'd already passed. I was alone in the house with her at the time, so I had a brief moment of hysteria, and then I just cried my eyes out. I crawled into bed with her to hold her one last time. She was never a "touchy-feely" person, so I was finally able to do that. Family members came to sit with me afterward for several hours, until the funeral home came to get mom. I preferred not to watch her being taken out in a body bag, so I just looked out at the horizon through my kitchen window, until after they drove off. Its going to be the hardest thing to get over, I know, but I'm going to have to keep putting one foot in front of the other every day, whether I want to or not. I have the freedom to leave the house now for long periods, which will be nice. I can only take about two weeks off from work. Going back will be tough. But anyway, the best advice I've been given is to take one day at a time, or one moment at a time. I still can't go into her empty bedroom, yet, though. Dear God, help me get through this biggest challenge of my life.....

How are you doing LL? Still praying for you.

Dear liverlips486,

Thinking of you during this difficult time. I hope a trusted friend or family member can be with you. I just want to add my support. Sending you love and hugs.

LL I am so sorry you are going through this. Talk to your Mom she can still hear you. When I lost my Dad it was very difficult. Only by the grace of God was I able to bear the grief. Find comfort in Gods word and his love for you through his son Jesus Christ.
This is a difficult season to go through in life, but you will be ok and get through it. Do find a bible believing church. Will pray for you and yours. May God give you strength and courage. You are not alone. So sorry

I felt that way when I thought about losing my dad. However, I did the complete opposite and pulled everything together and handled business. I guess I just did what I had to do & knew my dad would have been proud of me. I now just lost my mom and have continued to manage everything on my own. You find strength you never knew you had. They would want us to move forward. It doesn’t mean forgetting them, it means living our lives knowing they are watching over us.

Its nice to know that people understand. Thanks