My Mom's (86) Neuro-Radiology Dr. wants to do "Kyphoplasty" procedure. Any insights?

Her 1st FALL- Compression Fracture of L1. A "Kyphoplasty" procedure is a (Balloon+Cement) injection into L1.
She lives in ALZ Memory Care facility- She is very mobile and still toilets, dresses self etc. Now in much pain -- 2 weeks since fall- Portable Xray showed (No Fracture) so last week I took her out to MRI. *That is a story for another post!! Anyhow, the Dr says she is a perfect candidate for this procedure-- Would provide about 90% pain relief in a very quick outcome. There will be a twilight anesthesia used and its outpatient but could stay overnight if needed. I am concerned about her pain..Getting out of bed and up/down the worse..But walking hurts terrible too- She didn't want to get up out of bed this morning and was hurting too much to want to eat. (THATS BAD) for her.. If I don't go with the procedure- it could take months to heal and she would be in terrible pain like this and decline physically-due to uncooperative - poor quality due to pain. Can't give a lot of drugs for pain.. might fall again with either of these choices.. But less likely if go with procedure.. (SIGH) so hard to make these decisions.. But Im leaning towards DOING the procedure.. because she will feel better.. I don't want her in pain. ANY INSIGHTS, Experiences or comments-- THANKS! Daughter who loves Mommie and wants whats best for her .. :-)

21

Answers

1 2 3
I had never heard of this procedure and am very glad and interested to learn of it and can fully appreciate what a miracle this must sound like for your Mom. I think it's really important that you ALSO have a consult with her elder care physician or psychiatrist or neurologist -- whoever diagnosed her with ALZ such that she needs Memory Care. What I have learned with my Mom is that ANY -- and EVERY -- sort of trauma has accelerated the decline in her cognitive functioning, and I've been told this is typical. Absolutely anesthesia can do this -- perhaps not so much the "twilight" sort, I don't know. BUT that is DEFINITELY a question to ask. However, the pain ALSO can exacerbate the dementia and further impair cognitive functioning. I don't know what I would do -- the pain is for today and certain, the increase in dementia is for tomorrow and who knows. But I do know I would ask every medical professional -- including the registered nurses in her facility/social workers -- that I could talk to. AS WELL ASK what other options there might be for the relief of the pain. But, in the end, I think I would (and this is what I have done so far) always opt for what brings Mom the best quality of life TODAY and deal with what comes tomorrow when it comes. Your Mom is fortunate to have a loving child looking after her. Keep coming back to this site to ask advice and also to share your experiences. Angels watch over you on this tough journey! Lolli

My mom had this done 6 or 7 years ago but unfortunately we really didn't know if it worked or not due to her dementia. She was in tremendous pain with her back. She kept dwelling on the injections that she had had which by the way was for her planters fasciaitis sp? 2 years before. It was a "minor" procedure that seems to help a lot by way of others that have posted here. Wish I could be more help to you. Just didn't know how far along your mom was in the dementia journey. Good Luck and God Bless

TraumaDoc, you should probably post your question as a separate post as it has nothing to do with the actual topic of this post.

I am dreading giving a eulogy at my ma's funeral. there are 5 kids and she wants each of us to speak. I was the oldest and she took all of her frustration out on me with daily beatings, including bloody noses, age inappropriate tasks, because she was an alcoholic and on and on. I protected the younger ones from her, but I still hate the way that she abused me. My younger sibs have a relationship with her, but I do not. I just show up for medical visits because I am a doctor. Basically I hate the values of this vain, selfish and superficial woman. All that I can say at her funeral is that she had great taste and considered herself a great beauty. The world never knew about her vicious child abuse. What do I do.?

kyphoplasty can relief pain. go for it if if Ma is up for it!

I observed numerous of the procedures and they are generally uneventful. Being a retired RN working in both surgery and xray it is dramatic on some of the results that the patient has no pain before getting off of the table. Dependent upon the provider and the type of procedure required to be done.

My dad had this procedure done about two months after a fall. He had a major stroke three years earlier and was pretty much right-side paralyzed. After the fall, he was in so much pain that he was losing weight. After the procedure was finished and dad was alert, I left to eat lunch and check on some things at work. When I returned three hours later dad was sitting up in a chair fully dressed, and his face was relaxed. I hadn't realized how the pain had showed in his face before the surgery. It definitely improved his quality of life. We were told that there is only about a three month window after an injury for this procedure to be helpful.

My mother's doctor didn't even inform her that she had a spine fracture until she was in the hospital for food poisoning and they just said it in a casual manner. Good luck if and when you decide to go with kyphoplasty.

Kyphoplasty injects special cement into your vertebrae.

My Mom had this done 4years ago. The pain going away was right away. Don't understand why you r getting your Mom up and down. They wouldn't let my Mom out of bed even for the bathroom. She had her fracture at the L1 too. I was told before this procedure was done, people were flat on their backs in bed for 8 weeks until healed.

1 2 3