Mom's doctor thinks she is in psychosis. It's a two month wait to get into a psychiatrist for treatment. Any coping tips to deal with this? - AgingCare.com

Mom's doctor thinks she is in psychosis. It's a two month wait to get into a psychiatrist for treatment. Any coping tips to deal with this?

How do I deal with her anger and the horrible things she says to me when she is in a psychotic moment? It is taking a toll on me emotionally. Any coping tips?

21

Answers

1 2 3
They have. Now just waiting for the doctor to check her today. He's been gone over the holiday weekend.
Reply to Issybeau

Issy, have they done a urine culture to find out what organism caused the UTI, and if she's on the proper med for it?

Mom was admitted on the 23rd. Since then her condition has deteriorated considerably. Her stories no longer make sense, she thinks she's in Canada, her memories are all jumbled together and she no longer thinks about changing her clothes or taking a shower.

It almost makes me sick to my stomach to visit and talk to her. I just almost panic and want to run from this person that I don't recognize!

We are still in limbo due to the holiday weekend. I'm pretty sure I will have to place her somewhere but it will be good to get her out of the psych ward........
Reply to Issybeau

Get that doctor that has referred your mom two months away to a psychiatrist for PSYCHOSIS to prescribe her a tranquilizer. These docs have no heart. Two months is a long time.

OR get her into Geri Psych unit in a hospital sooner by a dramatic visit to the ER. Is she a danger to herself or others? Say yes.
Reply to HolidayEnd

if there is any excuse to call her behavior an emergency, take her to the ER for a psych eval and possible hold.
Reply to balloons

{{{Hugs}}} Issybeau
Reply to Bella7

I'm glad to read this update, too. Thanks!
Reply to SnoopyLove

Thank-you for the updates.

I am sorry things are hard for your Mom. Thank goodness you were able to get her the right medical care. I hope they find the right medication mix and that she keeps improving!
Reply to chdottir

I have been visiting Mom each evening. Visiting hours are very strict right now. While her demeanor is improved and she's more cheerful, she is still exhibiting concerning issues. She tells me they are taking blood several times a day, wake her up at midnight to give her lunch, saw the walls and move the rooms around in the middle of the night and that she has a roommate. None of these things are true. The doctor is doing his best to adjust medications but it looks like I may have to place her in dementia care. I don't even know how to feel. I'm sad and grieving someone who is still alive.
Reply to Issybeau

We have spoken about changing doctors.......we will see where we go from here. I was so shocked to learn about primary doctors not being able to admit a patient! I felt like we had to tell our story a hundred times to get any response!

The psychiatrist was wonderful. He said she has some residual frontal damage from a stroke she had 5 years ago which made her susceptible to depression. The depression intensified and created the fibromayalgia symptoms she was having which resulted in the prescription of Lyrica.....since fibro wasn't the issue, the depression continued to worsen until she wasn't sleeping. Sleep deprivation + depression + residual stroke damage equated to "pseudo-dementia". He told us that if we wouldn't have gotten her in when we did, we probably would have lost her. Scary stuff!

Anyway had a wonderful visit last night. She was more herself, cheerful, and clearer of thought. Huge relief. She will be there for a week or so and then be able to come home. Psychiatrist is working on a drug plan for her and is confident she will be fine. She has to do a lot of work as she is in the psych ward but I think its been good for her. She has therapy, group sessions, coping sessions and the regime is very structured. She is doing well. He said no sign of dementia or Alzheimers and she will respond to treatment quickly.

So now I find myself with 4 days all to myself as my husband and son are going camping. I was going to go, but I need to stay close in case something happens with Mom. I'm exhausted!
Reply to Issybeau

1 2 3