Ok, I’ve tried to deal with this by myself but I don’t know what to do. Mom hasn’t been able to push her poop out. So she’s quite backed up. I’ve done glycerin suppositories, Colace, Lactulose. I’ve literally had to dig poop out of her many times. I’m at a loss! Can anyone please help? I took her to the dr yesterday that’s how we got the Lactulose. Called them when it didn’t work. They said try again today and add Colace. Without my help she would’ve never gotten out what we have. Please help!!!

My mother in law started taking magnesium. She tried everything else. It really helped.
Reply to inkandpaper

Feed her some coconut oil.
Reply to EmotionallyNumb

Prune juice!
Reply to XenaJada

Try the prune cocktail. I don't know the exact measurements. Fill a small glass halfway with prune juice. Add tsp of quick oatmeal, add a tsp of applesauce. Microwave that for very short time, half a minute. Stir, drink.
Reply to tevincolorado

Forgive the details.....
Instead of disempaction, try having her wiggle back and forth on the toilet, after lubricating the area with oil or vaseline. (not talking about the toilet seat). I am not the technical expert on the forum, and cannot tell you the techniques. Your Mom could have a pelvic floor dysfunction; or have aging, damaged spinal nerves that no longer innervate the muscles needed to evacuate and are not working properly. The sphincter also needs to relax to allow passage of stool.

Basically, as I understand it, the tissues around the opening need to be gently and equally supported, at least on one side or the other. I do not believe this issue can always be taken care of only by medication. However, I am the least qualified to teach anyone how to do this mechanical maneuver. But thought I would at least bring it up,
Reply to Sendhelp
Momsonlychild Nov 13, 2020
Thank you for the helpful information!
(2)
My mother had bowel problems recently, no problems since 2006. Primary put her on Lactulose for three weeks took a few days to work and now back to normal. CT scan came back no bowel obstruction but full colon. Some medications can cause constipation.
Reply to earlybird
Momsonlychild Nov 13, 2020
Thanks! I was just so surprised it didn’t work. She moved into memory care this afternoon and I explained it all to them. Hopefully it will be ok.
(1)
My 97yr old Mom experiences the same problem with constipation. What we have found helpful is Ensure with fiber. I can only find it on Amazon. Also try Benefiber add to liquid or sprinkle in yogurt etc. and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Whatever liquid she wants then you can dilute it with water. Sometimes we still have problems but this has helped tremendously. Usually no explosions happen!
God Bless you on your journey🕊
Reply to TheKingsKid
Momsonlychild Nov 12, 2020
Thank you for your great ideas!
(0)
I also would wonder why prune juice hasn't been used.  Your mother could get to the bathroom if the juice were administered gradually; it doesn't have to be a massive dose.

If she can eat nuts, they're good as well, and they're nutritious, as is soup.

Why not try something natural instead?   

I also ask what her diet is; this is a critical issue so consider that for assessment as well.

MomsOnly, did you try the fleets OIL enema. A regular Fleets won't work. You need the lubrication of the oil. This is a mess, but will work.
Curious how it is "going" today.
Momsonlychild Nov 12, 2020
I didn’t know about those. I wonder why her dr didn’t recommend these? She seems better today. We got a bunch out. I’m still giving her DocQlace. Thanks for your help!
(0)
Believe it my dad's palliative care team suggested a tsp of olive oil three times a day and it worked wonders. He was on a strict reduced liquid intake. His bowels worked but his rectal contents were so dry he could not expel. This became a daily routine and movements must be monitored and logged for all caregivers.
Reply to InFamilyService

In the last couple months of my husbands life, he became very backed up, and we tried everything Hospice recommended and nothing worked. Eventually they prescribed Relistor(the shot form), and within 15 minutes after having the shot, he was pooping up a storm in his bedside commode. He had to have that shot a couple times, with great success.
Sounds like you might have to get your mom one of those(bedside commode) if she's having trouble getting to the bathroom. It will make your life a whole lot easier. Best wishes.
Reply to funkygrandma59
Momsonlychild Nov 12, 2020
I’ve not heard of that. I’ll ask her dr about this. We all sure need each other as we travel down this long, hard road.
(0)
Fleet OIL enema. It will be a mess, so be certain there are chucks everywhere, the oil will leak out. If there is utterly no push at all, then yes, you will have to disempact. Use the oil enema which will let those cement balls pass down. Then use colace daily. Do not stop unless there is diarrhea. Or this will happen again.

What is her diet?
Reply to MargaretMcKen
Momsonlychild Nov 12, 2020
Protein shakes, fruit, chicken, jello, applesauce- at this point whatever I can get her to eat.
(1)
Have you tried prune juice or kombucha?
Reply to Stacy0122
Momsonlychild Nov 11, 2020
No I haven’t. It takes 2 people to get her out of bed and to get her to walk to the bathroom, very slow walk. I’m afraid she won’t make it to the toilet.
(0)
I don’t know what the answer is. Bumping you up to receive help.

Best wishes to you and your mom.
Reply to NeedHelpWithMom