Mom's back is hurting - why? - AgingCare.com

Mom's back is hurting - why?

Mom has been on hospice for the last 3 weeks for CHF and atrial septal deviation. She is in AL on the memory care floor (dementia). The last week or so she has been having major lower back pain enough that she cries when she lays down and moans in pain. The nursing staff has given her a small dose of morphine occasionally when I ask them to. I have asked the hospice nurse to check mom but she told me she left orders to give mom morphine when she is in pain.
I feel like I want to know what is causing this pain but in the end is it really important? Is it a kidney issue, UTI, or part of her CHF? Should I ask hospice to order tests to find out what it is? Any advice would be appreciated.

19

Answers

No Garden, nothing intravenously
Reply to swright2

Wild guess here, but she's not getting anything intravenously, is she?

She's still in pain after a course of antibiotics. Her body may be shutting down. Yesterday I went over at 430 and she just woke up from a nap. Walked her down to the dining room for dinner and she said she was cold. Sat down and her whole body was shaking uncontrollably with her teeth chattering. She said she wanted to go back to her room. She walked back fine but kept saying she was cold. We get to her room and she starts shaking again that she was freezing. I gave the caregiver a blanket to warm up in the dryer and put extra blankets on. The floor nurse came in and took temperature and it was 94. Her oxygen was 89. They called the hospice nurse who arrived2 hours later. The nurse gave her morphine and she fell asleep in her clothes and piled with blankets.
This morning the nurse said she came out for breakfast at 8 am and was normal.
Is anyone familiar with what happened?
Reply to swright2

The antibiotics aren't working and her back still hurts (at least when she's not on morphine). Still not sure what it could be but at least pain is being managed. I will still keep you updated.
Reply to swright2

I had pain in my back some when i had stones . That caused inflammation too ..
Reply to baskethill1

Sounds like your Mom has a kidney infection which, as mentioned by shakingdustoff , may or may not be approved by her advanced directives so you and the hospice nurse need to look at your Mom's advanced directives.

I am glad that your Mom is getting the morphine every 8 hours now. That is the "standard" routine dosage. Is there a PRN order for morphine also to treat any pain experienced in between the scheduled doses every 8 hours?
Reply to DeeAnna

Two nurses came by today to check on her. One thinks it could be a kidney stone. Her urine is clear. Have a standing order for morphine to be given 8 hours apart. I’m going to check on her again tomorrow to see if pain is better.
Reply to swright2

The dr put her on a course of antibiotics. They aren’t sure if it’s a kidney infection so they are being pro active. Hopefully the back pain will go away.
Reply to swright2

Thanks for the update. I hope this new analysis discovers something to identify your mother's back pain as well as treatment or meds that can help for the condition.

Was glad I was over visiting mom today when the hospice nurse came to check on her. I was surprised to see her on a holiday but she said she was concerned about mom's back pain. She checked her vitals which were all good. She felt around mom's back and mom did flinch when she touched right by the left ribs. The nurse showed me where her kidney would be which was a little lower than where the pain is. She felt her stomach and if there was an aortic aneurysm she would have been able to feel the pulsation. She is meeting with the doctor tomorrow and will run things by him to see what mom needs. At this point the pain is being managed only if she gets morphine so she left orders for a dose in the morning and one before bed.
Mom has been even more tired the last week and the nurse noted some aphasia.
Keep you posted.
Reply to swright2