Poor Mom can't walk and now her arthritic hand is claw-like making transfers even more complicated. Any advice?

And just found out her arthritic left hand has a fracture. We don't know how it happened. Mom suspects it's from griping the handles of her u step walker. Have to call orthopedic dr tomorrow set up appointment to find out what's next in this continuing downhill stage of my poor mom's life. I'm thinking if she has to have some type of surgery or binding of it to heal, shouldn't she be in some type of facility until she heals? I can't carry her around. Anyone else go through anything similiar and how did it turn out?

17

Answers

My daughter works with people for disabilities. She has one client that is given Botox to help her open & close her hands, there's also other injections for stiffness that may help her. Also there are pain creams you can apply & excerises to help keep her fingers to stop becoming stiff but she may not be able to do them. Ask her doctor about this. I hope this helps. May God a Bless you, being a caregiver is very hard.

TRY ROLLING A MAN'S SWEATSOCK, OR THICK COTTON SOCK, INTO A CYLINDER SHAPE AND OPEN HER HAND AND INSERT IT SO THAT HER FINGERS CURL AROUND THE SOCK INSTEAD OF HER SKIN. OF COUSE, THIS WILL PROVIDE SOME COMFORT BUT ALSO SEE A DOCTOR FOR A POSSIBLE SOLUTION.

As I mentioned earlier we used braces for mom for her "claw" like hands, just found them. They are made by Lenjoy Medical and are called "Comfy Splints". Moms hands were closed tight in a fist. We were able to get them pretty close to normal with the exception of slight bending of her arthritic fingers. Well worth using.

Best of luck resuming life before care giving. It's not an easy transition.

After fracture healed water therapy is good light strengthening all muscles

Light range of motion with a soft small smiley ball found in dollar store will encourage range of motion even dipping hands in warm water encourage range of motion in water

When you see the doctor, make sure you tell him about mom's functioning as it relates to using or not using her hand(s). After it heals as the doctor for physical therapy, it can help with both her hands and legs making them stronger. Check with the therapist is her medicare will cover the expense. Mom may do fine with a splint/cast, make sure you ask the doctor if she can use it as normal, if not them she may need some temporary placement until it heals.

Freaked out. Well said. We also has the therapists to come to our home to show us the right way and the wrong way to do things. Made a big difference. Some of the appointment were more for my benefit as a caregiver then for mom. Touching for us was also helpful when mom was anxious .

One more thing. If you are going to use a lift with her get proper training by PT or OT or whoever is most expert at it. Have them watch you do it. Write down cues for yourself and if you are confused have them teach you as many times as it takes to get it right.

My moms hand were turning in and our doc order orthotics consult. She was given movable braces, nice and cushy covered in terricloth. Occupational therapist came in and adjusted to moms hands. Would put them on and off for a couple of hours each day. Helped tremendously with her hands and we were able to get them open again.