Mum's appetite is getting worse what can I do? - AgingCare.com

Mum's appetite is getting worse what can I do?

Hi my mum always had a good appetite but lately shes just not hungry and just eats bread and jam OR a small sandwich this is starting to worry me as its everyday now? Is this another part of dementia i am getting frustrated cooking then she dosnt want it. She is diabetic insulin dependant and her bloods are ok I check them 3 times a day. I finding this very scary as its just not like her gave her icecream as thats all she wants.

13

Answers

Kazzaa, I am not sure how this website works but I want to thank you for being so honest with me. I really appreciate the feedback. Hugs to you!

Ah, like a S'mores! Yeah, I love those! I make them over the stove. lol I called my oldest son and asked him to bring me some chocolate on his way home... I have a craving for sweets! I feel like I'm going to go insane if I don't get something gooey and caramel, soon...

Your post made me lmao! Sounds like something I'd do, too....eat the whole damn thing and then sweat it tomorrow... LOL Enjoy!

Ahoy Captain I agree I do let my mum have the odd treat my sis bites my head off when she hears mums had a miserable cake? My mum has diabetes,high cholestrol,high blood pressure and now dementia I dont think a gastapo approach to sugar is going to cure her now and if it was me id sugar my self to death!

SA ..... a biscuit base topped with gooey marshmallow then COVERED in chocolate ive eaten 3 theres 6 in a pack and im going to eat the lot tonight AS i have found out im alllergic to lactose so am partying now and give up all dairy tomorrow!! Ok so this is the third week ive done this but baby steps it will happen one tea cake at a time!! LOL

Now I want a tea cake ... I don't know what it is, but it sounds great! Have one for me, too, Kazzaa!

Thanks come to think of it im not eating much myself just stress I guess! Why is it that we keep a good eye on them and neglect ourselves? MUST EAT MORE VEG!! ok one more tea cake and then VEG from now on. Oh time for ciggy!!!

My Mom is 91 With dementia and she's gone through spurts when she Doesn't eat much, then a week later she's eating like her old self. I wouldn't get alarmed about it... She's lucky to have you keeping an eye on her. I'm sure if it goes on too long you'll be aware.

at an alz seminar i was told to let a demented elder live on cookies and ice cream if thats what they desire. their condition is terminal . give mom ice cream and make with the appropriate amount of insulin to counter the sugar. when an elders digestive system begins failing badly the food just causes abdominal discomfort and will not digest.

Thanks SA my best friends mum is not good I have bad gut feeling that shes not going to make it. I think thats why im so paranoid and stressed out my mum keeps asking about her and im lying I know my mum will take it bad and may be the start of her decline as they are both the same age. this will be a huge time for me and preparation for whats ahead of me. Mum is slowing down every week with some new sign of dementia and its hard to watch and hey this gets worse?? god help me!! hugs to all who are at a low today! x

Kazzaa, I know it's hard to see someone go off their food, and most people do jump to the conclusion that something must be wrong...but like the doc said, unless this goes on for a long time, or you notice her getting weak or sick because of it, I wouldn't worry too much, at least, not yet...

One thing my mom loves is her food, nothing has changed either. That being said, there were quite a few times when she just wanted something very small, or nothing much at all. I just let it be. Soon, her appetite was back and she was eating normally again. As long as she continues to be healthy, and she doesn't seem sick, just roll with it for now. *hugs*