Mom won't stop driving after her license was revoked. Any suggestions?

Traffic control, doctors, relatives and neighbors know Mom's vascular dementia is bad enough that she shouldn't be driving. She failed to show up for a test at the department of motor vehicles and they revoked her license. We wrote to the DMV because her regular doctor said he didn't see a decline. She has show timers and looks real good sometimes. We took the car keys and she called the Sheriff at 1 AM to get them back from my sister, who did not give them back. Somehow Mom got another key and is driving when we are not there. We are concerned for her and other drivers. Any suggestions would help.

8

Answers

Good work Ellie. Remind the aids to keep an eye out for more keys. I went through this with my Dad. He was always losing keys, get new ones made, keys turned up everywhere. That’s why I finally disabled the car.
Reply to Windyridge

Great idea!
Hi Ellie,
I have no idea what possessed me to come off so nasty. Wow... I do apologise.
Reply to Pepsee

Thanks for all your responses and good will. We took the keys and placed a lockbox with the key in it so the aides could drive her car and take her places. We didn't know she had a key until today. My sister and I are 1300 miles away and can't run across town to strong arm her and take it away.
Reply to Ellie9068

Seriously, just take the car to you, your sister or a friend's house. Get it away from her! Why are you even confused about this? God forbid she hit my child, you would be in court so fast your head would spin.
Reply to Pepsee

How did she get duplicate key?
Reply to shad250

I hope someone has power of attorney for mom / sell the car
Reply to MsMadge

Disable the car, then take it away when she’s sleeping.

The best and easiest way to kill the car is to pull the starter relay. It’s usually under the hood in the fuse box. It’s all labeled. Hide the relay then plug it back in when you take the car.

Tell her it’s broken, won’t start, in the shop, can’t find parts. Do this now before something really bad happens.
Reply to Windyridge

Disable the engine.

Now you did not hear this from me right?
Sugar in the petrol tank. - will seize the engine
A potato stuck way in the exhaust pipe. - will make a whopping big back fire.
Damage a distributor cap.
The above are wild ideas.

I wish you luck. If she is not safe ALL of the time driving, she could hurt herself or, worst case scenario, kill someone in an accident.

Good luck
Reply to BuzzyBee