Mom won't get out of bed. The hospital ruled out all physical issues. We're waiting for appt with specialist for a diagnosis.

They have done CT scans, MRIs and ruled out all physical issues. Then sent her home with no next steps. We have been waiting 10 days for an appointment with a psychologist to diagnose her issues if it is age-related. She is 75, 100 lbs, we can barely get her to eat and walk to the kitchen. She won't get out of bed for anything but the bathroom, she says she is tired and doesn't 'feel well". She is sometimes mentally confused but not always. She is on 13 medications !!! I realize we need a diagnosis but until then how can we get her moving or do we wait for the 'experts'?

20

Answers

I'm so happy for you that you're getting some good answers based on science. And your mom is so lucky to have you and your persistence!! Keep us posted!

Hi all, well today's appt was good. The doctor isn't diagnosing yet, she needs a PET test but he read her MRI and found several small strokes and brain shrinkage among other things. So it isn't anxiety or depression, it is organic. I am furious that the 4 previous neurologists missed the signs on her MRI s. but now we have clear next steps. This is so hard. To all of you do not give up looking for answers, the right doctors ARE out there somewhere. Thank you for your support and thank you for this forum. We are not done conversing.

She may be in a deep depression and just not feel like functioning, maybe she feels like life is over for her with nothing to look forward to, so she desires to die or perhaps it is a combination of all those medications.

I understand why you feel so helpless and it is so frustrating to try and make an appointment and they put you off for weeks when you need someone YESTERDAY. If it is nothing physical then a psychiatrist may be able to help but you need to see if there is a way to reduce all those medications. There is a liquid called Megace (a prescription) that you can have her drink to increase her hunger.

God Bless You and Your Mom!

Great news. You and your mom are in my prayers.

YAAAAAY Karen! I'm excited for you and your mom too. Please let us know how she does!! We're all rooting for you and your mom.

Yay!! Good job, Karen! Hope little Mom is feeling better very soon.
This makes me so happy, I am tearful:) first intuition was the meds.
Keep us posted on her condition:) xo

Thank you all. Just returned from visit with primary and have permission to stop all meds but 1. Victory! You have to ask or they don't make the changes I guess. Tomorrow another visit with geriatric specialist. Feeling hopeful.

It can take as little as two weeks in bed to lose the ability to walk at all. This happened to my bf's grandpa after he broke his hip. He got mad about having to exercise and stated he wasn't going to get out of bed. He never got out of bed again.

I think it's a combination of 13 meds and depression. The depression can the 3-pronged: medication side-effects are making her feel like s__t, she doesn't feel hungry enough to get up and get a plate, and the sudden realization she's not as sprighty as she used to be.

How will hospice help? She isn't dying , though she may want too.