My 83 year old mom won't eat food! What to do?

I don't want her in a home. Had two surgeries to repair her hyeintal hernia, called fundoplication. That really affected her appetite and the way she eats. She was sent home with a g-tube that was recently removed with the promise that she would drink her ensure 3 times a day and eat better. I have tried everything I can in the kitchen as far as creativity and still she eats a bite maybe and spits it out and this goes on for a long time, however she eats oreo's and candy and ice cream with no problem. Help!

My husband didn't like Ensure but he was fine with it in a blender with ice cream, or with Carnation Breakfast and milk and ice cream. Would that be a way for Mom to enjoy the Ensure?

How long has this been going on?
Talk to her MD and let him know the situation. Ask him to send a visiting nurse or a nutritionist to the house.
When people age and are not that active they really don't require as much food as you may think they would. If ice cream is what she likes and eats with no problem then try making a shake for her with the ensure. Make her a shake with some protein powder, or mix the protein in some yogurt. Make sure that she is getting her fluids which are very important. Good luck, hope things get back on track.
my alz seminar said to make with the junk food of their choice. her body isnt in need of nutrition and is beginning to reject it. cookies and ice cream just taste good even when your not hungry. at least its some sustenance. my mom liked strawberry insure on breakfast cereal. food and water will not reverse the wasting away that is inevitable. at a point mom wanted nothing to eat or drink. the organs were near death and couldnt use either. when the food and water was refused mom lived about another 20 hours , 10 of them unconscious.
Give her milkshakes, real ones if she will drink them. Give her whatever she wants and don't press her to eat. Her body is telling her it doesn't want food. I know this is hard for you, harder for you than for her. Know you are not alone in this and we are praying for you. Bless you for being there for her.
Anything can be a shake, so if someone prefers things like Ensure or ice cream, part of it might be the sugar, but I wonder if some of it is the consistency. I had a friend with his jaw wired shut, and he'd blend anything -- including lasagna. It actually tasted pretty good, but the big thing is that, if it's the texture, there really are a lot of things you can blend.
I am sorry that you have to go through this. But think of it like this it is food not very nutrious ,but at least there is food that she likes. At her age she should be able to eat whatever ahe wants . We do,I realize that she has health issues. But, if she is content let her eat.example, my momis 97and she did not eat for over fifty days no food, but she drank a lot of root beer. After while she wanted toast and jelly. Be patient and remember to have days filled with the things she likes it makes for a much nicer memory.
Unfortunately, it may be a sign that her body is shutting down. My mother's hospice care nurses told us not to force her to eat. The last food she had was a custard my daughter made for her. She lost maybe 50 pounds in the last few months of her life. Shakes with added protein powder are a good idea, if she likes them. Hugs to you.
My father went through the same thing and we are now going through it with my mother-in-law; post stroke. We have tried everything to get her to eat. We get her anything she asks for but she will only take a bite or two and refuse the rest. We even brought our 5 year old grandson (her great grandson) to visit and he ended up feeding her spoon by spoon. He was thrilled! She however eventually refused that too. What she will eat from time to time is a Wendy's Frosty. At this point, calories are calories no matter where they come from. Be willing to allow her to eat/drink anything that might appeal to her at the time. There are many reasons that can cause a person to lose their appetite but one thing we found with my father was that it was one thing he could still control when everything else was being decided for him. I hope this helps. Hang in there and know that you are not alone.
Just on the lighter side: I've been bringing our Sheltie to the nursing home when I visit my husband; he makes so many of the residents smile and want to pet him. My husband doesn't eat much of the nice lunch they give him, but he'll eat a peanut butter sandwich, and so as not to waste the food, our Sheltie loves to come for the visits and gets a good lunch for himself!