Mom woke up today with a pretty unsteady gait compared to normal. Any advice?

She's had vascular Dementia since 2011. Well, mom is having a dizzy time walking today specifically. almost fell down 2x. We are holding onto her, but she's definitely 'off'. She also has a little cough, and a cold sore (which is rare for her) on her lip.
Any ideas?
Could the newfound dizziness ("My head is going this way when I look, but feet are going the other way!") be attributed to (shudder) a stroke?
Going to dr. tomorrow.
any thoughts?

42

Answers

1 2 3 4 5
Yes, her symptoms are characteristic of a cold or flu which may or may not require an antibiotic. When the inner ear gets fluid in it or an infection that affects balance. Try to keep her well hydrated, I hope she has seen the doctor by now, and on her road to recovery. Best of all, get her a walker whenever she tries to walk on her own so she will have something to hang on to. You can borrow one from different groups, thrift stores sell them, or Walgreen's has a healthcare department in some stores. We are both sick now and dealing with the same circumstance, only my husband got an antibiotic yesterday and is shaking and weak today. He asked for his walker immediately! (He doesn't do that too often). I pray your mom will feel better soon!

Way outside my "mobility problems expertise" but there is another cause of dizziness that has not been mentioned. It is known as BPPV and you could google "dizziness and ear crystals" to find info on it. The ear has "crystals" (like little rocks) that feed balance readings back to the brain. They can be dislodged (sometimes by just remaining in the same position for a long time) and create dizziness. The fix is to have a doctor (that knows the procedure) position the head so that the "crystals" go back to where they belong. Sounds weird but this is exactly how your ears are key to maintaining balance. I checked it out after a relative had it done and it worked perfectly (he had suffered from dizziness after a car accident).

Robin: No problem

Llamalover: Sorry. I hadn't read all of the previous posts.

The original poster has moved on, creating another thread. Perhaps the newer posters are finding it difficult to find their own posts.
If so, go to your News Feed on your profile wall.

Robin: Yes, that's what I said.

It might also be as simple as dehydration. How much water is your mom drinking? I know my mom doesn't drink nearly enough, and it becomes an issue in many areas, including UTIs, but especially (myself included) with dizziness when dehydrated.

5. Gait and balance. At a minimum, a gait assessment means that the doctor carefully watches the way the older person is walking. There are also some simple ways to check balance.

Simple things to do, if gait and balance don’t seem completely fine, are:

Address any pain or discomfort, if that seems to be a cause of problems. Many older people are reacting to pain in their feet, joints, or back.
Consider a physical therapy referral for gait and balance assessment. A physical therapist can often recommend suitable strengthening exercises, and also can help fit the older person for an assistive device (e.g. a walker) if appropriate.

Dr. Leslie Kernisan wrote above. She is an expert poster on AC, and a geriatrician.

First guess-Is she dehydrated?

Nikki, can you share what the doctor said, or are they running tests?

1 2 3 4 5