Mom with dementia is always hungry and forgets she ate even 2 minutes later. What do I do? - AgingCare.com

Mom with dementia is always hungry and forgets she ate even 2 minutes later. What do I do?

17

Answers

Ok, so the new med (mirtazapine) makes her hungrier, and moodier, as in more anger. This was not what she needed and now, if they increase her med, will it increase everything? ! I was looking for something to help her sleep. SMH.
Reply to Lostinthemix

I have begun to halve her lunch and I always have fruit cups on hand. I guess the way I look at it, every time she walks in to the kitchen she is hungry for something, and no matter how many times I've told her to just say "I'm hungry or thirsty" it just doesn't stick.
Reply to Lostinthemix

I don't clear the plates very quickly so it's a visual cue that my dad just ate. Sorry you are dealing with this.
Reply to Amycaring

Thanks. Its comforting to know I'm not alone with this. If you tell her she just ate, she gets an attitude and says "if you day so" now I tell we'll be eating soon.
Reply to Rainey9

That's what happen with my mom, she stated forget that she was eating 5 minutes ago, started another meal, then finally it get her to aspiration pneumonia as her esophagus was already damaged....I tried all kind of words nothing works, so finally Hospital, feeding tube, now slowly back to puree but in a facility, I have no idea how I can managed this once more at home....Hard and sad.
Reply to poetry21

That's what happen with my mom, she started forget that she was eating 5 minutes ago, started another meal, then finally it get her to aspiration pneumonia as her esophagus was already damaged....I tried all kind of words nothing works, so finally Hospital, feeding tube, now slowly back to puree but in a facility, I have no idea how I can managed this once more at home....Hard and sad.
Reply to poetry21

All I can say is I feel for you, as I am going through the same exact thing with my mother which is far into vascular dementia. She will like one thing one day and not the next, pickup a banana and eat it then turn right around and ask if she can have a banana because "those sure look good."
God help them both and teach us how to help them. Amen
Reply to Cateyes

Rainey9 is she moving around at all that's important for retaining fluid. If her heart is failing it may be lack of oxygen causing the memory to fail.
Reply to wuvsicecream

Thanks everyone. Mom has a tendency to hide food in drawers. She is already on lasix. I think she's at the point where her brain doesn't let her know she is full.
Reply to Rainey9

I keep a lot of fruit cups on hand, a variety of them, but I don't know how healthy they are, but I drain the juice.

Best of luck to you and your mom!
Reply to Lostinthemix