Recently, my Mom with dementia has been telling me she hears people walking around upstairs in her home, but she is not frightened by this. Advice? - AgingCare.com

Recently, my Mom with dementia has been telling me she hears people walking around upstairs in her home, but she is not frightened by this. Advice?

She says she thinks its a man who came months ago to do some work around the house and she believes he brings his ladder and gets in through a window since he does not ring the bell or come to the door. He just walks around the second floor of her home. Are auditory hallucinations a symptom of dementia?

20

Answers

willidee15...the drug he is taking is haloperidol 5 mg every six hours. I give it at 9am 3pm and 9pm and it certainly has helped with the seeing of bugs and snakes. Of course, the "people" are a different story, but at least they aren't something to fear, just dead relatives. And they are welcome here. It is part of the "leaving process". He also had UTIs that caused problems but after that was cleared up, we then got the bugs and snakes. BTW, I also watch that we have NO animal programs on TV. Can't be too careful.

My mother in law has this issue from time to time and its sometimes is realted to a urinary tract infection and or her medications. I know the UTI sounds strange but thats when it happens to her. It goes aways in a few days for her.

Cindie: Oh, I so much can relate! Unfortunately, my mom lived 400 miles away so I had no choice but to move in with her. I tucked her in bed each night and recited bible verses to her as she was in the winter of her life.

to Nancy50131 - what was the drug that helped your husband for the visual hallucinations . The neurologist Rx Seroquel and Trazadone for sleep but it does not seem to be helping

I agree with posts. Call her MD. could be a urinary tract infection, effects of meds, etc. Best to find out

My Mom was hallucinating...drinking soup..when she did not have any,people visiting her and eating fried chicken at 2:30 a.m. ... little kids playing games with her...all in 2 days..took her to emergency department...her oxygen was extremely low. She is on oxygen 24/7 and I have moved in with her (since 4/28/14).

My mother had similar experiences. In the hospital, she became belligerent, then when she pooped the bed up because she had lost her olfactory sense, she couldn't smell the foul odor. Then at the NH, a man jumped out of his bed to assist her (of course, he was a staff member), "he went back to his hotel" (an untruth) and there's a man sleeping in my room on the floor."-another hallucination.

My mother has Lewy body dementia and has been in a NH for almost 3 years. She had a phantom cat for some time - fell out of her wheelchair trying to pet it and taken to ER ... I bought her some stuffed animals and that cured that. Then she's worried that when my father comes to visit and stay over night (he's been gone 16 years) the staff won't know who he is. Then there's the man who sleeps under her bed every night who she doesn't mind at all ... in 6" of space?

At close to 90 her mind is away with the fairies. She keeps trying to get out of bed or her wheelchair by herself and falls ... just this last week she was taken to the ER and ended up with a black eye and 8 stitches above that eye. Alarm on her bed but by the time it goes off she's on the floor. One or two more falls, banging her head, after numerous strokes, it will be the end of her. Wonderful though the staff are, there's nothing that can be done.

Does she have a psychiatrist? You may want to find one for her. Her dementia has manifested itself into hallucinations.

Lewy Body dementia has hallucinations as a symptom. My mom had a lot of them. She had a lot of falls as well. Best of luck to you.