My Mom somehow winds up with my Dad's rx medicine in her drug box and swears she didn't put it there. What do I do? - AgingCare.com

My Mom somehow winds up with my Dad's rx medicine in her drug box and swears she didn't put it there. What do I do?

The first time wasn't to bad, it was Ocuvite. But this time it was Lasix 40 mgs. The worst part is that she was taking them before I noticed.

19

Answers

I love it too. It's called Philips Medication Dispensing Service.
Phone 1888-632-3261. That is their number for everything. I call this number to order the little boxes when I run low.
(the only thing Mom can come up with is "there was 13 pills in my box and I took
Some out.") I don't believe that. I am extremely careful. But she has to find a way to say "the sky is falling". Typical of her.

Gaaaaaahhhh!!! Donna that is so cute!!! A talking pill box with nice manners! Love it. What's its brand name, please?

I like the locked med boxes that has alarms for when the medication(s) are due. Some of the pharmacies fill the boxes for the patient. I fill my dad's medicine box myself. I have a list of medication from the pharmacy that includes the name of the drug, the dose and how many times per day he is to take it. When he sees a different doctor I take the list which also includes over the counter medications. This way, each doctor knows what medications he takes. I like the alarms which reminds dad to take his meds which help keep him healthier. This also prevents mixing up medications.

After reading more posts I wanted to add that my mothers machine, about the size of a dehydrator but slimmer. It comes on, makes a sound turning the cylinders and then SAYS. your medicine it ready, press the red button, repeating every 10 seconds or so. When she removed the little box of pills it says thank you, and mom says you're welcome. It puts a little humor in the task.
You have the key and can get a dose early if need to take it along when going out. This might help others too.
The one from Lutheran Services was great until she foud out she could change the sequence of doses. Been doing this for over a year, gets hard when she doesn't believe I can get them right. Can't afford to hire someone to come in just for that. But I'm 15 min. Away if anything goes wrong

I've been through a nightmare with moms meds. First I found a box from Lutheran Services. Coat $39 to install and teach me to use it. It beeped and a light flashed when it was time. She STILL tells me she thinks I loaded it wrong.
If I did she would sleep all day. She figured out that she could turn it by hand to the next dose so it became useless at only giving the right meds.
Recently I got a dispenser that cost $99 to install and teach me to load it, and I will pay the $50 a month "rental".
It is called Philips (one L) Medication Dispensing. Machine. It calls me if she doesn't take the meds out when it dispenses them. Called me when her electric went off, (it has a battery that lasts two days.). It tells her to "drink extra fluids with your meds". Which she doesn't , but I can hope . Their main customer # is
1-888-632-3261. It might work for you. I would set it by time. The 8:00 is Dads, the 10:00 is Moms, 6:00 is Dads, 8:00 is moms, etc. you can do up to 4 doses a day. I believe it holds 48 doses which I don't usually have enough pills to do 24 days for mom . Best of Luck! I know what you are going thru.
(I'm waiting to see if she figures out how to manipulate this one. It is locked.)

This is a very difficult issue. Mixing some medications or taking those for a serious condition can kill a person or cause irreversible damage. The only safe way is to have the medication administered by a competent person. If you do not live with the person perhaps you could have a trusted neighbor give the medication when you are not available or perhaps given before you go to work or when you come home or drop by after supper. There is no cut and dry answer. You have to think of all your options and do the ones best for you . I prepare my own medication and husband's pills and even I (who is reasonable sane) has to recheck to make sure I have hit every box in our daily containers to make sure I haven't missed a day! If all else fails I'm afraid paying a health aide to administer the meds is the only answer or puting them in an assisted living facility.

As parents age they are not capable of dealing with the medication issue. I always set up the drugs for the week and distributed them to my father as the doctor said. They may forget to take the medicine on time and often the medicine needs them to have eaten something before taking the dose etc.

I would just be the person dispensing it or have a reliable person paid to handle it each day for them.

Good luck

My parents had finally come to the place where they needed help with their meds. Dad was in the beginning stages and mom had serious health problems requiring 14 to 18 meds a day. It was too much for them to handle. Even though dad was having memory issues, he was aware of the date of the month. So we purchased 2 MedCenter boxes. They have 31 individual daily boxes with space for 4 times a day. One side is green and the other side is red. Google -"MedCenter 31 Day Pill Organizer". They were a life saver. We could put dads meds up for the month. Moms were a little more tricky, but they were able to handle each day without trying to figure out if they took their meds or not. It can even come with an alarm for taking them. I would recommend it for anyone in your situation. Obviously you will need to monitor them, but you will be able to see more easily what might have been missed.

My sister made an alphabetical chart with a picture of each pill, so that putting them up was so much easier for both of us. We had a box for each of them that held their prescriptions along with the chart. These were put in a safe place that they could not get into. I hope this helps. I don't know what we would have done without those boxes.

One catalog sold plastic clips that you can put around a bottle of pills, and you can write on the plastic what the pills are, such as "blood pressure" because the generic name is no help as to what in the world is that pill for????.... Dad really likes that, makes it easier for him to fill his pill box. Mom keeps her pills in a different area, and doesn't use a pill box, as she takes less pills. Personally, I think both are taking way too many pills.

I agree with CountryMouse about taking care of one's parents pills... for myself I don't live with my parents... I have no idea what pills my parents take as I am a senior citizen myself with my own variety of pill bottles, same with my sig other.... he and I have enough on our own medical plate for us to try to figure out my parents pill schedule.

Plus my parents refuse to move into a retirement community and insist on living in their large single family home... they are in their 90's... therefore, they need to take their own responsibility for inside and outside of the home since they won't move. It's tough love on my part. Once my parents decide to move, then I will help out more. The way it is now, it is just too tiring for me.

I take full charge of all meds at this point. Countrymouse, my daughter suggested a locking pill box that will only open one compartment every 24hrs. Less likelihood of overdosing. I'm there daily and in the beginning was finding my mom's pills all around my dad's bed!