My Mom will not go to the doctors. What can I do?

My Mom is forgetting what she has done and said ten minutes before she said/done something She starting to forget family members and stopping eating and repeats herself over and over as if she didn't say it 5 mins befor,she says she been on own all day when a family member just left,she forgets what day it is and what she has to do. I don't no what to do

17

Answers

Mom insisted she wasn't going to a Neurolgist. I just took to my bed. I do have depression problems. I told her that her health affects my health. I go to my Doctor and take my medicine. I love her so much if she doesn't take care of herself, it makes me sick. Her Physical Therapist also spoke to her about it being a positive thing.

I called my mother's doctor and explained my concerns regarding my mother. I asked the doctor not to mention the phone call to her and that next time she comes in to discretely suggest a routine memory test.
My mother constantly fights to avoid doctor's appt's, I usually just let her carry on, but all the while reassure her gently that it's just a check up. After the appt's she always comments "that wasn't so bad". I hope this helps a little. All the best.

Gosh I have the opposite problem, my folks LOVE to go to doctors....they could think of a reason why to go doctor every single day (including the Sabbath). But seriously, I would find out if a visiting Nurse could come to the house, make an assessment of sort, and recommend follow-up visits to various specialists. If the visiting Nurse can talk about the Specialists as close friends then maybe it would be more palatable to mom? Just a thought.

My mother refused to see the doctor, too. I lied. Told her the appointment was for me, that i did not want to go alone. When we got there the doc spoke to me so i couod fill him in. Then, he called her in. Mad, yes she was! But, it allowed the doc to see how bad she was. He put her on meds and the next appointment was much easier.
Get her in NOW! Don't wait for her to agree. Time passes, they get worse. My best to you!

Check for Urinary Tract Infection ! This can masquerade as dementia ! (It can still be dementia...but check first.) Can also be : dehydration, or a vascular issue. Get her to her doc asap. Can be something simple or alarming. Please do not delay. (Been there done that SEVERAL times with my Mom.) Listen to Heidi73's action plan- good idea.

Good grief she cannot live alone safely any more. Time for help to come in, or for mom to move to Assisted Living. She'll leave the stove on and burn the place down.

Read a book on dementia and Alzheimer's. It probably has a photo of your mother in it. HURRY!

Most elders repeat themselves 1, 001 times! They just can't help it. The "trick" plan of not telling her she has a doctor appointment until one hour before sounds like a plan.

Suggest going to lunch with mom and then make a doctor's appointment. Then when you pick her up, "Oh, let's just stop here for a sec" at the doctor's, and get her in for that appointment.

I agree and has been my tactic to tell mom as late as possible. There is no need to give her extra time of anxiety and if your mom is only going to forget, it doesn't pay. I also say to her the dr isn't going to do much, she only needs to see your face to continue your prescription. It takes the focus off of my mom and reduces some fear. Hope this helps