Mom has end stage Parkinson's, lost her husband 2 months ago, no longer wants to eat but give up. Do I grant her wishes? - AgingCare.com

Mom has end stage Parkinson's, lost her husband 2 months ago, no longer wants to eat but give up. Do I grant her wishes?

I'm the only one caring for her, my dad passed away at home doing hospice because of kidney failure that was quick less than a week he passed after stopping dialysis. My mom is so depressed she really doesn't see any reason to continue living, she no longer walks can't do anything for herself. She doesn't want a feeding tube place in her if it comes to that, I feel I just should make her as comfortable as possible. she up maybe 4 hrs a day. She is 78 and has had parkinson for 20 yrs. I also took care of my dad for the last 2 an half years here at home. I don't know really how to handle this, I believe she wants to pass away like my dad passed in his sleep?

13

Answers

People with degenerative diseases like Parkinson's just get very tired of struggling and fighting the disease. Most of them fight to continue because someone else wants them to continue, not for themselves. They get very tired and they just want out. Sometimes, it's compassionate to go along with their wishes.

I have to agree that hospice is right for her now. (((((((hugs))))) and prayers. This is a difficult time for both of you.

Your a wonderful daughter, that was a loving and courageous decision. Can you keep us informed. You and your Mom are in my thoughts and prayers.

So my mom was seen 2day by the Dr, he agree with me that she should be on the hospice program, thank you all 4 ur input. i'll keep u posted

Sweetheart research end stage Parkinson's disease. You wouldn't want that for your Mom. This is the best way. Just enjoy the time left. Tell her what she means to you. Just laugh through the tears with her. I like your Mom. She has dignity and integrity, and she raised a wonderful, loving daughter. Keep us informed, don't do this alone. We are here for you.

Kathy1, I like that respect her wishes. I'm thinking of hospice because they were a big help when my dad pass away here at home. thank you

I'm going to see what type of assistant the Dr. suggest, even if it's placing her in a home, I'll be there daily, but i wanted to give her the same respect as my dad, passing away at home. i guess each case is different. thanks sunflo2 and geewiz for your input ;)

Yes, end stage parkinson's is a horrible death. Allow her the dignity of pallative care, and a peaceful end. Respect her wishes and actions. My heart goes out to you. Are you in touch with hospice which will lend you support, and keep your Mom out of pain?

Does she have money where you can also get some outside assistance to come in for a few or several hrs a day? In home care? Don't wear you and your sons out. If this is too much, it's okay to get her into a quality nursing home. Maybe for your peace of mind, you should visit a few in your area spending some time there and talking to other caregivers who have family there to get their opinion on the care their loved one receives. At least you will know your options for when the time comes.

If your mom is open and cooperative to strangers in her home, then call a liscenced reputable care agency that can provide CNAs for certain hrs for a fee. This is usually about $20/hr and they will assist with her care, hygiene, activity, light cleaning, etc. make sure you have a contract with everything and expectations spelled out.

Certainly she will be more comfortable at home, but it isn't always the most cost effective or total peace of mind for you like a nursing home where in most cases she is safe, has medical supervision and there is more skilled care. And you don't have to deal with caring for the house, lawn, groceries etc that you do now.

Sunflo2, thank you. Their days i get different idea to get her going but she keeps wanting to sleep. she fighting to go be with my dad, She loves restaurant but i can't lift her into the car and she has no strength to hold up her upper body. We are having a Dr. come visit us this monday. I'll keep everyone posted