Mom walks and walks and wants me to walk with her. Any advice?

Hospice believes my Mom is at end of stage 6 or early 7. Wondering if others walk and walk or stand all the time and wants me to walk with her continually. This goes on from AM until bedtime. I am thankful she does sleep well at night, but for 12 hours we walk and she talks of nothing making much sense. I have tried many activities, but she seems to care nothing except to walk and talk. Just wondering if others want caregiver to walk as this with them all the time? Thanks for any advice.

17

Answers

Walking is good for body and mind, but excessive walking can wear out caregivers (and take away from time other tasks need to be done!) I have seen a number of those in MC who walk just because (several are non-verbal or verbal but incoherent) and others who get up and try to walk, but can/should not without someone to assist. There are others who do walk, but with a purpose (staying fit and healthy, they generally walk the "loop" after meals.) I do wish our mother would join them - she has gained at least 20 lbs in about a year after moving in and certainly did not need more weight (nor the chocolate covered ice cream bars for dessert all the time.) Her most recent complaints have been leg pain and swelling - well, mom you NEED to get up and walk! She sits reading most of the time and rarely walks other than to get to/from her room and to/from the bathroom.
Reply to disgustedtoo

Three cheers and Hip Hip Hooray for an elder who CAN and DOES walk! That is wonderful!
Reply to Llamalover47

An observation over time.....the walkers live longer.
Not specific to Alzheimers or dementia.
Reply to Sendhelp

Can you set up a track sort of thing? We have a house that you can walk in circles around. From the living room through the kitchen out the front door, around the covered porch ( three sides of the house) out to the detached garage, out through the garden, back to the porch and into the house. We have marked a walk way for a guide and are getting a dog. I don't want to walk but rescue dog might.
Reply to K43d35

Some times senior are not aware of what they do, and expect us their children to go along with what they do...Tell mom, i love you, but you got older and I got old and the old gray mare aint what she used to be..If she like to walk, is she in a safe envoirment to walk alone..Or you can watch her walk from one hall to the next, ex. she started to walk one hall, you give her about 5 or 10 minute to get to the next hall, once you see her safely walking that hall, repeat until she is where she started from..just a thought :)
Reply to bettyboop77

my mother is also in hospice care at home. She is down to 84 pounds. The walking has subsided due to lack of energy but boy does she try! I was meaning to ask others if this was normal-
Reply to Anniepeepie

Most of us would be overjoyed if our mother, our spouse or whomever it is we are caring for has the verve and energy to walk and talk.
Sometimes I get aggravated if i want to read the paper and my wife wants to get up out of her chair. She can’t walk without assistance and she has advanced Alzheimer’s. But then I have to make myself remember that someone of normal mind and health can take joy in reading, TV, a hobby, whatever. But my wife has none of that to fall back on. So, I get over my aggravation’s and take her hand and away we go.
It’s probably good for both of us at (79)😁
Reply to BigjimM

I would consider this an anxiety thing. Mom had it with humming and all she wanted to do was be on the move. Me, I couldn't be doing thiscall day long. If you feel you can't then ask the Hospice RN if there is something that can calm Mom down. Really, don't think its a good thing.

Can you listen to your favorite music on earphones and just nod and smile at her? Maybe use a foot step counter to count your steps and light weight hand weights and make the experience more productive for you?
Reply to GAinPA

In my opinion I think the stair gate is a good idea. For the top of the stairs I suggest a garden stair gate. You can adapt a tall  garden gate for this purpose. Do you have any walking clubs round your area? Or a local gym or sports arena?

How are her feet bearing up? Get trainers. :)

Good luck - enjoy the fact that she wants to do things with you both. It does not last forever.
Reply to BuzzyBee