Mom uses a bedside commode and a bag with kitty litter. How long does it last before changing?

Mom is on Lasix 40 mg. Does kitty litter last more than one time in the commode? What if she has bowel movement? What do you use to clean her area with after urinating. How much kitty litter do I put in? What kind of kitty litter do you have? The commode liners are expensive... 7 for 10.99. What is an economical way to go with this? I don't know how long she will be on Lasix. Thank you everyone.

18

Answers

Writing as a semi-retired bedside nurse (for 40+ years) I have dealt with many incontinent youngsters and oldsters. Some tips/tricks come to mind:

a) Find a medical supplies company and/or catalog if you are new to being a caregiver.
Seek advice about what would best help your loved one . Let patient choose the odor of spray she likes best.

b) Skin care (elderly fragile thin skin starts faster breakdown if urine and stool remain on the skin any length of time) Preventing red areas of breakdown is MUCH easier than trying to heal them ; if untreated, the peri areas can develop very deep hole, infected bedsores that can lead to a deadly infection named sepsis, Zinc oxide barrier paste (desitin) as needed can be used after each skin clean up, (tip on mixing zinc oxide and body lotion in both your hands/gloves rubbed together makes thick skin ointments spread easily), Some of the sanitizer foams.(get brands to use is a question to ask your caregivers), Bed bound patients or even just for the night bed bound need turned /repositioned (sp) every 2 hours to prevent red areas that are the first sign of starting breakdown. Keep red areas from expanding by massaging with lotion to promote circulation. Take any red spots seriously. Wound clinics can do miracles but prevention is the first step.

c) Odor control - dealing with bathroom smells is a constant challenge. rinsing bedside commode (BSC) with diluted bleach or mouthwash and using lysol type air sanitizer( sp) spray help. I once smelled a BSC that had not be emptied for days and it smelled strong like spoiled fish, ugh, Some urine odor control measures are a) disposible chux blue or tan plastic pads, b) washable cotton bedpads (24 by 30 approx") adsorb the odors and last thru many washes. c) Pad person's favorite chairs or couches.

d) Need for help wiping skin and hands after using to commode, packed wipes or foam sprays are useful for this,

I hope this helps.

Final tricks - Use little bells to put at bedside or bathroom or anywhere so pt can call you without calling out. Like BSC's, bells are often available cheap at thrift stores). Another poster suggested kitty litter in the BSC,  I like the idea but it would have to be experimented. HOORAY for the aging care community!
Reply to watchdog1

My dad uses bedside for bowel movements. I use garbage bags in the bowl and just gather the drawstrings when done .I light candle for 10 minutes after.
Reply to ncglasses

A bit of water & a pinch of chlorox bowl cleaner. It's left in the commode bucket ready to go. Works wonderfully! No bad smells and easier to clean.
Reply to Kimm04

Reply to Kimm04

I'm wondering if you have a splash guard, also i spotted liners online. Hopefully that could help?
Reply to GreenBee

i do not use kitty litter at all. i have a commode down and upstairs. when mom has bm i help her upstairs and she goes, other wise she uses the commodes one in her bedroom and one in living room. i empty them , her bedroom one, in am. i empty downstairs one afternoon and before retiring for the night. thank you all
Reply to anonymous246360

My apologies. I looked for a way to delete my post but couldn't find one. I think my idea will not work. It's possible the idea might inspire an idea, but I'm uncomfortable with my comment. Again, I'm very sorry.
Reply to GreenBee

Ah! I tried to leave a message a minute ago and got an error. Funny how things work. Right after that, I tried to see if I was right, and found an interesting article on how to composting toilet. Someone bought a bedside commode from a thrift store, added 6 inches of mulch to the bottom of a 5 lb container, and put it under the commode. They literally turned this into outdoor compost, and from what they're saying, it doesn't stink! I really thought this could be an awesome thing, because the sick person can feel positive, knowing that they are giving back to the environment! And it might be easier for you, as well. (One extra thing, if you consider this, would be to buy Sunmar microbes mix, just to encourage the level of composting.)

I REALLY hope this helps.
Reply to GreenBee

never heard of using cat litter or the commode liners--learn all kind of new things on this site-thank you
Reply to celeste

Clumping types of kitty litter WILL clog the plumbing.

We have cat. I have tried just about every version of litter and some are very exspensive.
Arm & Hammer Clump and Seal Litter
This one works Clump and Seal and kills smell
I recommend:
7 Day Odor-Free Homes Guaranteed
Ultra Low Dust
it Is dusty to handle.
USE with liner and throw away in trash

Yesterday'S News Cat Litter
It is made with recycled newspaper and made into compressed pellets.
Very Very absorbent, pellets swell.
it is literally DUST-FREE
No fine litter all over the place to walk in
It is paper and flushable in VERY small amounts
It turns to mush in water. IMCO
important part cleaning is a fabulous product called ZERO ODOR
USE with liner and throw away in trash
People do flush it in small amounts, easier to dump in wastebasket with liner
Reply to DaveIFM