Mom to geropsych; Why did I ever place her in LTC? - AgingCare.com

Mom to geropsych; Why did I ever place her in LTC?

They are sending her to a geropsych unit because she is hitting the staff. My nightmares never end. I should of had her come home, omg, I’m so worried about her ...what are these places like ?

15

Answers

UTI can bring on violent behavour. She is in a good place. They are better at treating the problem. She will be given the correct meds to make her comfortable. RU an RN in a hospital? If so talk to a geriatic doctor or his NP to see what they have to say. My daughter does it all the time.

Please do not be afraid of a psych ward. In my lifetime, my mother has been admitted to one at least 30 times. This is because she would not take her meds for bipolar correctly. When we started monitoring her medications, she had very few visits to the psych ward. I can't remember one that was bad.

I'm no expert, but, for some reason, for some people, when a loved one passes away, their dementia seems to progress. I have seen that happen quite a few times in my community. My cousin, who I care for, seemed to begin her dementia not long after her mother passed away. I have a good friend, who's mother quickly went into full blown dementia within months of her husband passing away. I'm sure there is some medical explanation for it.

I hope they are able to get your mother stable and feeling better.

Ohmeowzer ,
I hope your Mom is doing okay in psych. unit. I hope you are taking care of yourself too!

Thank you my mom has. UTI and they tried a iv on her in the nursing  home and the punched, hit and spit on them,so they had to give it oral which I don’t think did much ...I’m going to talk to the psychiatrist. Social worker and casemanger today and show them a picture of Mom right after my sisters funeral where she walked with a cane and they can see how she’s declined sine then...I haven’t slept a wink all night and have to wait to see her until 3 pm it’s gonna be another long painful day ...these past 4 years since my sister died have been rough ..I’ve never even delt with my deep painful grief ...I still cry 😢 every night ...anyway ..you all help me so much ...I’m never sure what to do with Mom and im a nurse ...I love you all you’ve been with me on my journey for the past 4 years

I forgot the most important parts. My Mom had a bad u.t.i. and a raging yeast infection and mersa from one of her stops before she made it to the pych. Unit. They gave I.v. antibiotics and cleared up the whole mess. This place will help I promise.

You all make me feel so much better , she’s still,on the antibiotic for the UTI ..she needed iv antibiotics but she wouldn’t let them put one in so they used oral ,,thank you for your kind words my life is so stressful since my sister died I barely make it day by day ..hugs and love and prayers to you all ,,,

Ditto on Jeanne's answer.
Once the UTI is cleared up, the psych doc will have a much better idea of what the problem is (if there's even any aggression after the infection is gone). It will probably be straightened out real soon. Try not to worry.

She has a UTI? OMG, even older people without dementia can behave in very strange and scary ways with a UTI! Just getting that cleared up will help a lot. And the psych ward should be able to help a whole lot more with anxiety and reactions to meds.

Keep us informed of how this plays out. We learn from each other!

Thank you so much I am feeling better and taking it one day at a time ...tomorrow I’ll go see her and I just want what ever years she has left to be happy ,,hugs to all of you I don’t know what I’d do without you