Mom thinks she has something "like leprosy"? - AgingCare.com

Mom thinks she has something "like leprosy"?

This came up a couple of weeks ago; mom was crying and whimpering that she had exposed my pregnant niece to "something like leprosy" and that "I knew all about it". (I didn't). I finally told mom she didn't have MRSA, Tuberculosis or shistosomaisis and she seemed happy with that. Last night, she was agitated and upset again, pointing to something on her arm and insisting that my SIL call me because "Barbara knows what I have". I've asked the nurses to have the APRN look at her and perhaps get the dermatologist involved. Anyone have any brilliant ideas? Yes, she has vascular dementia and she's on anti-depressants and anti anxiety meds.

22

Answers

1 3
Brother and SIL went to see mom yesterday and still no mention of her skin. Gotta see what the late evening visits with my SIL will bring this week!

It's a VERY good thing! My mom is in a NH two hours from where i live, quite close to brother and SIL who visit often. Sometimes there's a dance around some stuff like this.

It's interesting to see mom from the perspective of someone who didn't grow up with mom as their mother. My experience of my mom is that of someone who watched her terrible anxiety throughout my childhood. I was deeply affected by it.

My SIL doesn't have that history, tends to take her more at face value, i.e., if mom thinks she has something like leprosy, there must be a grain of truth in it. Nope.

Babalou, so is it a good thing you have others involved in Mom's care? I'm an only child, Mom's brother has Alzheimer's and it's just me, I have POA, trustee of her trust, medical POA etc. sometimes I think it's good I don't have to convince anyone else to go my path, other times I wish I had someone to share the burden with.....btw, my FIL gets a painful skin rash on his leg that the doc called cellulitis.

The one good thing to come out of this, thus far ( and i feel kinda guilty about it) is that my PoA brother said very firmly during mom's care meeting " we're going to treat the upset and nothing else, because the "disease" that she's upset about is a phantom. My sil wants me to call up all mom's previous docs and finds out what she'd had in the past that was "like leprosy".

I resisted. But i finally emailed my brother the other day and told him that i needed him, as PoA, to complete HIPAA forms allowing me to talk to mom's three derms, two internists...and suddenly, he seemed to realize that this was crazy.

So, i went to see Mom today. Two hours and she didn't bring up anything about her skin, the dermatologist or anything more urgent than not wanting to be out of her room when her ice cream was due to arrive.

I drove there today armed with all sorts of responses to her concerns. The only thing i wasn't prepared for was her non-concern. Feeling very much at sea.

Hmmm...you know liquid nitrogen might just cure "something like leprosy" too. I might or might not get around to looking it up for your mom in the Archives of Dermatology, but I bet I'm onto something - oh yeah, I think I remember from dermatology class that a little bit of the cold stuff is just the thing for lepraisis. It's probably a rare condition and very interesting, but fortunately very treatable.

Babalou, she is re-living something from the past. Did someone she know have skin cancer or did she have something with a bad rash as a child? She may have dreams of bad skin and think it is real.

We had mom's care meeting today. The nh professional staff believe that is function of mom's dementia.

We need to her engaged and occupied

I'm going to talk to the dermatologist today. The thing is, my mother knows that the treatment for a keratosis is liquid nitrogen. She KNOWS (in her mind) that that's not what this is. That it's something "terrible".

I don't suppose they would consider a little liquid nitrogen treatment?

1 3