My Mom (91) is suddenly tired all the time. Any advice? - AgingCare.com

My Mom (91) is suddenly tired all the time. Any advice?

Mom has fantastic genes so it is not unusual for her to be an active 91 yr old. She walks the neighborhood every morning. The past week she is finding herself tired most of the time. I noticed that her tiny appetite is even smaller. I told her this is normal. Is it?

11

Answers

Speaking of blood pressure cuffs, I strongly recommend a wrist cuff. MUCH more comfortable and easier to put on.

Whoops! I missed the fact that glucose is checked daily, so I'm assuming she's a diabetic. Better scratch that milk shake suggestion.

If she's not diabetic, can she have something really tempting like a milk shake? That's one way I got my father to keep hydrated.

Perhaps some nice cool summer soups might help as well, or fruit in juice, such as canned pineapple.

Yes, BP and glucose checked every day.

She is having lab work done this week for her next Dr appt. Just had the daughter talk again about water with the usual response that she is drinking LOTS all day, but she will pay more attention to how much. Not going to change her now!

Do you have bp cuff and pulse oximeter?

Actually here on Cape Cod, we have had a change to better temps and humidity the past week. However, drinking water has always been her downfall. She is a sipper and thinks that the glass of water on the table next to her means that she okay, even if she hasn't had more than a quarter of it. Time for a little daughter talk again. Thanks everyone!

I didn't see either FF's or Maggie's post when I wrote, but their question of meds and side effects raises other issues: low potassium and anemia.

Potassium can be depleted easily if she's taking Lasix or other diuretic, or like me, eats a lot of celery. Anemia is insidious - it affects not only her physical energy but that in turns affects her motivation - at least that's been my experience. If you're feeling weak and/or tired, you don't feel motivated to do much except rest.

I think perhaps she should see a PCP or internist and get a full blood panel as a start.

From your description, she's always been active so this current condition isn't consistent with her history or lifestyle.

I wouldn't think that kind of abrupt change is normal. She seems like a strong, motivated person, so a sudden decline in energy should be investigated. I wouldn't wait any longer though.

There also could be other factors....in what area do you live? Has it been unusually hot, such as in the high 90's or 100's? Does she live in an air conditioned house? Heat can have a devastating effect on anyone, but more so an elderly person.

Does she take blood pressure medication? If so, it's possible she's taking diuretics that can dehydrate her and that she needs an adjustment.

See if she'll drink a big glass of water a few times a day, in addition to other fluids. It may make the difference of night and day.

If you have a blood pressure cuff, check her BP. If it's really low, that also can show she needs an adjustment in meds. 120/80 vs 100/60 MIGHT also indicate that, with her tired symptoms, she needs a meds adjustment. In which case, a call to her doc is warranted.

I'll also say that, at 91, she's due for a dramatic slow-down...