Mom suddenly cries. Anyone else dealt with this? - AgingCare.com

Mom suddenly cries. Anyone else dealt with this?

A couple of weeks ago my 90 year old Mom started to cry as I was getting ready to leave after a visit. When asked what was wrong she said she just loved me. I live 15 minutes away and see her 4 times a week. She did the same thing with her nurse 2 days ago. When asked what was wrong, again she said that she loved me. She has had 2 mini strokes and does have dementia. She receives excellent care at a skilled nursing facility and aside from these episodes and a failing memory is doing great! Has anybody else dealt with this and if so, how did you manage? I have tried reassuring her and making her laugh, which worked in the short term.
Thank you in advance.

24

Answers

1 3
Many thanks!!!

Monty, if she is a religious person, a visit from her priest/rabbi may help her. I think some anxiety meds, low dose, might help. Also ask the neurologist if this is a pseudo-bulbar effect from the stroke.

Hi there! My mom is on anti-depressants, which are helping her tremendously as she gets through that time period. Ask your dr. about this and discuss ALL the facts with the dr. Mom didn't do this when she was younger, but started after her brain anurisum and our fathers death. The stress of all seemed to have started this, and as she got older, she began to stress more about all the little things. Calling us at 3am, thinking she was missing her 3pm appt., not eating unless we sat there with her, cooking or bringing food to her, making sure her home was clean, and taking her meds. She began to mix them up as we had them sorted by day and time, she thought it would be ok to take them whenever or by the color! We all explained that she could not be doing this as that is not how they are to be taken. She didn't like that but after taking her meds she realized that we had them set right. Takes LOTS of PATIENCE, and reminding ourselves that they are not doing this on purpose , they are just not the same as when we were younger. Glad that this has given you some info that may be helpful, remember to take care of yourself too, and know that you are not alone in this. Smile and remember those fun, happy moments that you enjoyed with her previously. I have to do this too. : ) mzlinda

They are anti-depressants, which make her sleepy. My mom is 79 and since dad passed away 4 yrs ago she has been showing these signs more and we weren't sure if it was her high blood pressure or an aneurism starting again. Nice that its that simple and her brain doesn't have to go thru more stress and we could possibly lose her too. So when the nurse explained what it was and why I was elated there was help for her. Enjoy those kind of moments when you can see the goodness in something! Again, take care and know your not alone in this, we are here to help when we can and smile with you too! Thank you for letting me know that this may have been of some value! mzlinda

Sundowners? they are not sleeping pills or antidepressants, are they? my mom does not take any meds at this point (89 years old), vital statistics very healthy, but she does get the sad/depressed feelings/cries I feel when she is tired and at later hour in the day. I also see that her memory is much better in AM than PM... I'll check in to the sundowners (never heard of this)...

Hi there! Ask your moms dr to see if its possible that she may be developing "sundowners". I found out that my mother had been having the issues as your mom as she was leaving the hospital after having a hemoragic stroke. They explained this is more pronounced as the sun goes down- hence the name. She would become agitated easier, cry, and start picking at her clothes or the table cloth or little things close to her fingers. I hadn't realized until then that this had been going on for quite a while as mom also had a brain aneurism 9 years ago. But we were never told that this might happen or to mention this to her regular dr as we just took it as another step in our mom getting older. The hospital gave her some medicines that she takes just as the sunset starts, eats supper and by that time her body is relaxed and she doesn't go thru the stress on her brain. My mom also is getting dementia, both thru heredity and her brain injuries. Hope this helps. Right now mom is in a skilled learning facility and is getting her strength built up. Take care of yourself too, as this can makes us worry that we might be doing something wrong. Your not, but again I would encourage you to talk to her dr.

Thank you all so very much
The great thing is that Mom laughs easily and is easily distracted. She apprwciates appreciates silly which is something that I never have a problem being. We have to laugh. All the best to you and yours

YOUR KEY WORDS...MAKE HER LAUGH. My mom has a bit of it all...Parkinson, Dementia and Alzheimers and half the time I cant figure her out. But I can let you know I am sure you know certain things that will turn the switch off that sometimes she just can turn off on her own. I can distract her with sweets, or I chat with her about growing up, since she has short term memory loss. Its not wrong for her to be sad but you dont want it to linger for her and it could be the start of her new normal. Try to think of something to say as your leaving so she is not thinking about being alone. Kiss, Kiss "Mom dont forget when I see you on Monday be ready to beat me at crosswords....or...is there anything special I can bring you when I come back?, think about it mom for me and let me know, or we should go shopping soon make a list of things we need to get and where to go?
and try and get out quick so shes still thinking of that conversation not being sad and missing you. I know your happy since I came here to visit you silly, is something you can say if she gets sad when your with her. When my mom cries I tickle her and say what do you want to do thats fun? Distraction is key with dementia! Dont blame yourself for not being there enough because it never will be enough for her and she will stop remembering when you came last. My mother is someone totally different than the woman that raised me and it tears me up daily when I'm with her or even think of her. It's certainly not easy to keep her happy but I will never stop trying to do so. I hope you find the answer that works for you and yours! God Bless!

My mother has started to do this. She isn't depressed. She's getting more sentimental. Actually, I find myself crying, more. I'm not depressed but the situation with Mom sometimes just tires me out to the point where I feel weepy.

So, even though Mom wasn't one to cry, she will sometimes cry because she's happy,too, and never did that, before. Similar to the last post, I mean. Sometimes, I think she cries because she's glad to be alive another day (and she's not in any pain, so it's probably easier to be glad than if she was suffering).

Sometimes, when she cries and thanks me for all I do, I think it could be a combination of frustration that she can't do as much by herself as she used to and a little relief that I'm here to help her. She's aware of people who really have no-one at all and I think she feels grateful.

Also, anti-depressants are yet another pill to take. At 86, Mom has whittled herself down to three meds and not eager to change that formula, right now. I'm just pointing that out before someone writes to me to tell me how much she probably needs them.

My mom also started this a few years ago. When she felt overwhelmed, afraid, or maybe she didn't even know why she was crying. No one knows what goes on with dementia. Some people do well with antidepressants and others don't. My mom does a lot better with them. Hasn't happened in a long time because she is past that point but when it did, I would give hugs and try to redirect with location, conversation, magazines, people, etc. I don't know if there is an answer for this one except trying different things and patience. Good luck and God Bless.

1 3