My Mom (40) sleeps often compared to 3 months ago. Any advice?

Every day when I get home from school she's asleep. My Mom is only about 40 years old and whenever I get home from school she's asleep. She is also really run down and achy all day. I'm really worried that something is terribly wrong. Not 3 months ago she could Sticky hand fight and play and was generally normal. But now shes just run down and it seems like she's aged like 40 years on a few weeks. I'm really worried for her.

16

Answers

Lisaiuv: Oh yes, the rehab unit of the NH my mother was in said to her and all in the meeting at the NH "you're too well to stay here." Less than 48 hours later she suffered a stroke there, culminating in her death. I feel your pain, Lisaiuv.

You don't say how old ur Mom is or where she lives. There r people here from Canada, the US, England etc.

I am surprised rehab released her. Had she been there 100 days? After 100 Medicare no longer pays. Was she sent home with Homecare? There's usually a discharge conference.

How old r u? Does one of it sisters have POA? She will be the deciding factor. Sounds like Mom is a fall risk. AL may be a good place for her. You may be outnumbered. Any money she has will be used for her care that may include the sale of her house. We really need more info to help.

Well, I wrote to you last time begging for help with my mom. I was calling my sisters telling them I need help with her . She fell and broke her hip and the rehab she was in, cut her loose long before she was ready to come home.well, she fell again that nite and ends up back in rehab. She's so weak, spending twenty hours in bed a day. What can I do to see her come home? If not, my sisters want to put her in a living facility. Sell the house and then what? My sister said that all our inheritance will go to help mom. I heard that since my dad was in the service at one point, we can get some extra help, even though he did not go to war, he was still considered a veteran. Anybody know more about this?

JoAnn, I too thought of Lyme Disease!

I echo the advice to see a PCP, internist or even an ob/gyn, ASAP. If she's "achy", that's physical, not mental. Psychologists to my knowledge don't do physical workups and that's what she needs. Blood work is definitely in order; it's amazing what shows up from analysis of a few vials of blood.

I also wonder why kind of diet she's eating. Is she eating a balanced diet which includes protein and B vitamins? Who does the cooking for the family?

What kind of "aches" does she have, and in what part of her body? That could be a clue for a doctor to explore.

Do you live in an area close to forests, or areas in which deer might live? It's possible also she could have been bitten by a tick, although the symptoms are more extensive than what your mother has.

There's also the possibility of something systemic, in which case, the sooner it's discovered and addressed the better.

Or had she started on any new medications? I'm also assuming that she's not in chemo or getting radiation - they're physically and emotionally draining.

Have there been any emotional upsets in the family? Dealing with sadness, grief and other traumatic events can cause fatigue as well. Doctors are more aware now of what they call the "mind-body connection", or "Mindfulness" as some describe it.

Another question is whether or not she's napping, or has she been sleeping all day? What time does she get up in the morning? If she's up at 4 or 5 to get your father off to work, a nap in the afternoon isn't unusual.

How many children are there in the family and do they help with housework? Are there young ones at home? Does she work outside the home and if so, what is her profession?

Lots of questions to answer; categorize and record as many as you can and accompany her to visit a doctor, the sooner the better.

Some hospitals have a women's health center, which might be better because she won't have to worry about some of the male doctors who just pat a woman's hand and assure everything is okay.

She may have limes desease. Look up the symtoms. It effects the joints and damage can be irreversable. Fatigue is a big factor. It won't go away. She needs antibiotics. If she dosn't cooperate, get an adult involved.

There could be a whole host of things to consider (fibromyalgia, depression, MS, anemia, elder care, endocrine diseases such as Hashimoto's, prescription drugs such as Seroquel and Trazadone, OTC meds (Benadryl, Claritin). Good luck

Always first a complete medical. Another possibility is thyroid problems. Please see she gets to her doctor. Feeling so low energy will make it harder for her to take action so anything you can do to help her get there is good. With low thyroid you have lethargy as well which makes it more challenging to do things. A friend or relative or clergy might be able to help too. Good luck and let us know how she and you are doing.

Dear Araina - It's good to see someone not only so caring, but so observational about a parent. If, after 3 months, she hasn't had the self-motivation to seek medical attention on her own; you have a bit of a challenge. Or maybe she did go while you were at school and didn't tell you? Have you asked her? Has there been a change in the family dynamic in the last 3 months (ie) has she taken on a new job or responsibility? Talking her into making (and keeping) an appt for a complete Physical Exam would be great. During the exam, the doctor will ask her questions about her health and order a blood panel and stool sample. Those results will shed some light on what steps to take next. If you can't talk her into it - you will need to ask a relative to help push her in that direction. Good luck.

I am forty myself and I can tell you this it is not so much as you seem like you age forty years as it might be the early onset of menopausal symptoms. She needs to see a gynecologist not a psych. It could be that her white Blood Cell counts are out of wack. It could also mean that her hormones could be out of balance. I would check with gyno and endocrine before halling your mom off to the psy and poking her full of meds she may not need at all. There is a test to see if it is her thyroid and those are usually the free t3 or t4 and the complete t3 and t4. The doctor may want to order a CBC it could be she is anemic. With the age forty she could be getting anemic from an infection or a gynecological cause to the problem. Has she ever had heart problems or does heart disease run in the family or even kidney disease? If so the doctor can run test for that and see if there might be something making her tired because it could be circulatory and her blood may not be working in her circulatory system right.