Have any of you had your Mom tell you that she sees things that you know aren't there, like babies on the floor next to you or kittens? - AgingCare.com

Have any of you had your Mom tell you that she sees things that you know aren't there, like babies on the floor next to you or kittens?

Mom is 90 and has a great memory but she goes into these episodes of seeing things that aren't there. We have told her doctors and they gave her an anti depressant and anti psycodic but after a few days she was going bonkers and she knew it so she refused to take them. I just don't get where this is coming from. She just had a visit with her doctor this week and he agreed if the meds don't make her feel better then she doesn't have to take them. It's so strange to experience this and I don't really know how to respond. When it happened the first time I would explain to her that there wasn't anyone there but she said it's as clear as I am sitting there which kinda spooked me. But I know it's a medical thing not ghosts. I just wondered if anyone else had this happen?

29

Answers

1 2 3
dee1863, Mom has stories also but hers are not always nice ones. Today she was talking about dead rabbits up in the back yard by the wagon, which isn't real, and that gave me chills. She knows I love rabbits and where we live there are many. I'm wondering if she said that to get my attention or if she just had another vision. Other than that she was really in good spirits and seamed fine.

When I got home from work yesterday, the afternoon caregiver told me mom was really contemplative and quiet, so the caregiver tried to bring her out of her funk (she's really amazing, we love her!) and asked mom what she was thinking about. She said mom told her a really long, detailed story about something...caregiver said it was quite amazing listening to mom and that she felt that she was on an adventure with her. Yes, it's better than a movie or a book. It's amazing how they come up with these stories.

This is a common thing with Lewy's Body dementia. Animals and little people are the big ones. My dad has them all the time, particularly worse in evening. They call it sundowners. I have found for us; it's better to let him just have them and listen, respond best way you can. His wofe argues with him and tells him no hey aren't there and he gets VERY upset then won't talk. Where as I talk about them, answer what I can and then he's usally finished with it. Good luck!

Tillie, I too would worry. Does she have life alert? Would she wear a key to her appartment round her neck, you know like the latchkey kids do? In your position I would look into assised living and find somewhere that you felt she would be happy so if it becomes an emergency you would have your ducks lined up. Unless she is declared incompetent there is little you can do when she refuses.
do not necessarily listen to the caregiver because AL is not in the caregivers best interests and if she has been with Mom for a long time she is probably very fond of her. Is there anyone she knows who is in AL that you could take her to visit and maybe have lunch with? Or maybe arrange to drop off magazines for a facility and pre-arrange for the manager to happen to be there when you arrive. Mom already lives in an apartment alone so the change would not be as dramtic for her as for someone leaving the family home. Maybe do a little volunteer work somewhere with mom in tow. She could probably read to someone or write letters for them or help with crafts whatever her talents and interests are. Where there is a will there is a way, she does not have to be forced into anything. Try and make it her choice. her own caregiver could still help her in AL.

My mom was hesitant to tell me her most recent hallucination because she said I would restrict her if I knew. I coaxed her to tell me and she said she went out for walk and it was dark and ended up in a lobby, but didn't know any of the people coming and going. She sat there all night and then they were coming in for breakfast. She realized she recognized it as the lobby of her apartment, but knew nobody. Next thing she knew, she was standing inside her apartment in the kitchen. I believe this was another dream/dementia episode, but I did worry that she is wandering. She did get locked out of her apartment and says she spent the night on the bench in the hallway. I did confirm with the maintenance guy she was locked out, but not for how long. She is refusing to go to assisted living, and her caregiver wrote me a note about hoping we wouldn't send her there. Oy. I am learning not to over react.

My mom sees things and people, too. She had a stroke in 2008 and the visions started then. One night, shortly after coming home from rehab, she swore she saw a tall thin man in the bedroom with us. She says she looked right at him and he covered his face with his hand and turned away. It spooked me. But what spooked me even more was soon after that the 3-4 month old lab puppy started barking wildly in the living room, hackles raised, teeth bared - never did that before. He was barking AT THE WALL. Totally freaked me out. My mom sees little kids all the time (her guardian angels?). She also sees kids up on top of the windows, hanging off the curtains or the ceiling fan, men and women in the room, etc. She talks to them, they never answer (of course) and she gets so mad at them. She's also seen knives laying around, bears outside the house, etc. Her vision is really bad, and it's from the stroke. She does have a visual field block (left side). I've been told that our brains are wired to fill in the entire visual field, so when there's a missing spot the brain grabs a past/random visual image to fill in the blank spot. Makes sense to me. Still very disturbing, for us both. I don't tell her things aren't there anymore - she sees them and they are real to her. So I acknowledge, "handle" whatever/whoever, and redirect. It's the only thing that works for us.

My Mom has had hallucinations two or three times when she had UTI's. Seeing people in the room mainly ,sometimes people that have passed, and sometimes dogs and cats .If she tells me there is a snake in the room I would probably go through the roof myself... and luckily she hasn't told me she has seen those. She does not have AZ or dementia, but doctors thought the UTI or antibiotics she was receiving for osteomyelitis may have caused the delirium. They changed the antibiotic to a different one and the delirium stopped after a couple of days.
I hear that sometimes people near death experience this, but this has been nearly a year now so I tend to think it was the UTIs or antibiotics. When I was standing over her once she said the curtain billowed out from the window and all around me....it gave me the willies because it seemed like something from a scary movie, but I know it didn't happen and was the UTI.

There are a lot of things that can cause these sort of hallucinations - with my dad, it was his kidney levels gettting too high just before he was due for dialysis. It had the same effect as a UTI or other very serious infection - he would start hallucinating and making odd phone calls - until we told the hospital and nursing home to stop giving him a phone to make those calls. (Sounds harsh and cruel, but he was just confusing himself more and more with the calls.) He was calling the hospital kitchen and ordering food to be delivered to his sister's house 60 miles away, calling us and asking us to come get him and bring him his clothes -saying he was sitting naked in city hall, etc.

Then came the visual hallucinations - little santa clauses dancing on the floor (don't step on them!), birds flying around up by the ceiling (and he would whistle bird calls at them, something he was always good at), hamsters running around inside the ceiling (don't you hear them?), or the always-entertaining food hallucinations - he would mime putting a spoon into his mouth, dipping it back towards his chest and back to his mouth, chewing and swallowing, as though he were eating. He swore he was eating a bowl of ham and beans, and boy was it good!

The only thing that stopped the hallucinations - and only temporarily, for about 24 hours - was dialysis. When he came to the end of his life, and required dialysis on a daily basis, the hallucinations were constant.

OMG, I don't know what it is about babies, but YES, my mom often has mind-looping worries about babies and often says she has seen them. She sometimes talks about having talked with her Grandmother and Jesus. I believe that these things are quite possible, that they may be able to tap into parts of the brain that most of us cannot. I do pray that comforting visits like these do happen in the midst of what is a frightening experience for those struck with Alz.

Bookluvr - I guess the conversation becomes more about how to support dad through this and keep him from being scared of what he's seeing. Aaaaaand let's just check with the doc to make sure there isn't somethind medical going on at the same time. Things can bloom quickly in older people, and if he is having an infection, nobody wants it to get worse and have him end up in the hospital. No point challenging anybody's understanding of how this is working because it just doesn't matter all that much.

Is there someone in your culture who can come reassure your dad and interpret these visions for him, so he can be comforted? If these are also his beliefs, then this may help him. Not everybody needs to throw pills at things like Western medicine does.

Is there a ritual you can do in the house, with dad, that will comfort him or send the spirits away for a while? Or invite peaceful spirits in to shield dad?

I'm a dyed in the wool skeptic who can't watch scary movies either, but I do recognize that familiar ritual comforts people whether it's a prayer, last rites, smudging, chanting, or making an altar. Do what will comfort his soul, soothes his mind, and protects his physical body.

1 2 3