Mom is seeing and hearing people who are not there at all. Any advice?

When I tell her they are not there she gets mad at me. She says I am the crazy one not her.

19

Answers

I suggest you read the book “Final Gifts”. It is available on Amazon. I am an RN, familiar with elder care and hospice. I suspect that your mother is seeing what you can not.
Reply to Marciaatoz

I hear alot of people blame strange behavior on elevated levels of stress. Never really meant anything to me until one day I started seeing people that were not really there. Having complete conversations and arguments with people who where not really there. Some relatives, coworkers even strangers while I was completely alone. I even imagined discovering my husband cheating on me confronted him about it. I remember him repeating "What are you talking about?" And calling me crazy. After a few weeks, I started to be able catch on to the "reality"people and the "Phantom " people. I became exceedingly concerned when the "Phantom" interactions began to involve family members that had deceased for many years. I remember falling to my knees crying and begging my 5 year old nephew to go away, that he wasn't supposed to be there over and over again until he faded away. I'm not sure if it was the levels of stress I was experiencing due to losing my house and job a into a wreck all in one week. Or the fact that I fell 7 months before that at work and hit my head that which caused many seizure. Or E.s.p. My mother always told me there was a horrible curse/Or blessing I guess depending on how you look at it. Every woman in my family could "sense" things. I don't know what it was. I still hear things and see people that are not there but nothing so haunting as those few months. What's going on with me?
Reply to Bostonbound

My father was put on a patch and it helps. Now it's pill because patch isn't covered.
Reply to Marymoya

Re read my post that is not what I said. Spiritual visitors are not the same as hallucinations. Hallucinations are not a sign of imminent death and can happen at any age for many reasons. Spiritual visitors are often seen by the dying patient, and I stress the dying patient, and that is one who has other signs of approaching death.
I was a hospice RN for some ten years and the very last thing I would ever do is tell people such rubbish that would alarm caregivers. I certainly resent your implication that I put up unsubstantiated information. I merely share my experiences and those of my collegues over many years of experience.
I stress that spiritual visitors are usually very comforting to the patient and they often recognize them for what they are
My intention is not to start a fight. Clearly your wife had a different experience from me but I stand by my original post.
Reply to Veronica91

I agree with the Macula Degeneration combined with drugs. It got so bad I had to put my mom in respite care for a week and got her off all the brain drugs. She just fine without them. She still takes the morphine and a 1/2 Xanax when needed. I think that haldol and atavan built up and went toxic to her system.
For a while there she thought her hearing aid was a sort of transmmiter to a space station sending her messages from, wherever. It was kinda funny she'd talk to it all day like she was on a cb radio."can you hear me now? over......"
Reply to whodathunk

Been there done that... Mom has hallucinations from time to time, I am still learning how to handle them. I just play dumb, Mom I don't know who that was that came into your room last night... Sometimes that is good enough and other times she says, I am not crazy, somebody was in here last night. Nothing I am going to say in those instances is going to help. Now as for the light that goes up the wall and out the door, I pretend to look for it and say "I don't know where it went I can't find it." No matter how crazy the hallucination is to me, it is 100 percent real to her....
Reply to Melville

I agree, it is not an imminent sign of death. It's a change in the brain function where memory and reality overlap and can't be sorted out. My Grandpa saw dancing girls for many years. He was one of the lucky ones.
Reply to pamstegma

Veronica91, Sorry but that answer of "being close to death" is rubbish and you should not put up unsubstantiated posts that will have many carers worrying! In your case, maybe by pure coincidence death may have followed a bout of hallucinations but it is NOT the norm!

My wife worked in a Nursing Care centre for some ten years as a nurse and never ever saw this connection!!

Hallucinations can be the cause of many issues as stated in previous replies above. Additionally, Macula Degeneration is one of the biggest culprits for causing these hallucinations in the elderly and when combined with the many drugs that they take, they may be frightening to we carers but they rarely if ever cause any medical problems.

These dreams can go on for up to twelve hours and as the sufferer is 110% convinced they are true it is useless trying to argue with them or try to talk them out of the hallucination itself. Just stay with them, say yes or no as appropriate and keep them calm with a cup of tea and if possible, bundle them back into bed.

And remember, they have NOTHING TO DO WITH IMMINENT DEATH!!!!
Reply to HaveGivenUp

Identity and boundaries shift when aging sets in. Dreamlike worlds appear, and may be significant to the seer in some way. I think especially when someone is near death, visions of someone who passed on who is significant (or not) appear--this is a classical mode ---is there 'another side'? Are they 'waiting for us' like many religious ideas talk about? Someone other psychic phenomena happen and they might see a horrible death that happened either there or somewhere..or auditory hallucinations of people talking? These phenomena happen to many people of any age, but may get confused by our conditioned response to life. At this old age life is very dreamlike, especially with all the meds we take for pain, etc. Try just hugging your elder, holding their hand, making their lunch and talking about everyday things. Don't worry, and pray.
Reply to MichelleHeart

Capt you Mom was a very special person. I wish I had known her.
Reply to Veronica91