My Mom has Alzheimer's and dementia to the point where she remembers me only if I sing to her. Any advice?

18

Answers

hey, surprise, I hope you have success with it! Let us know. Keep 'em active!

There's a new movie call Alive Inside that promotes using personal song playlists on Ipods with headphones with those with AD. musicandmemory.org has details. My daughter is going to work on a playlist for mthr, and see if we can reach her!

Hmmm..

Hey Bunn, I have a player like you mentioned. Got it at Walgreens for under 20 bucks. Sound quality not the greatest but he enjoys it at bedtime. God Bless sweetie.

You listen to music from a Different part of the brain, its amazing! I sing things to my Mom about how she used to make cookies on snowy days, etc and she loves it! She is non verbal! I also purchased Lawrence Welk for her and its nice.

Music is the best medicine, sometimes.

Music is good for the soul. I agree with everyone. I have Alz and I believe I am in the 3rd category. Thanks to whoever provided that nice link to find out where you are. I have read other articles, but this was the finest by far. I printed it out so I could read it in the future.
Anyway to get back to the music. I play music all the time while siting at my computer. Sometimes the radio, and sometimes CD's. I am trying to find a CD player and radio combo for my bedroom. I have always loved music, especially spiritual music. It calms the soul. I have in my instructions that my family should be sure that I get to listen to music wherever I am.

Thanks to everyone.

Keep on singing. It gives them more memories. My husband loves to sing and he remembers the words of old songs. It is the one great part of Alzheimers. They all love old music. Take advantage. If you are tired of singing, play music for her.....the kind she likes.

My dad loved the soundtrack from Sleepless in Seattle

My wife's grandmother was in a nursing home for several years. She would go off on a conversation about when she was a little girl or when she was some age a long time ago. Pat would enter into the conversation as though she knew all about what she was talking about. Her grandmother really enjoyed that. Go with the flow even if you don't know what they are talking about. They are in their world and no matter of correcting them will do more than frustrate you. Join in enjoy the show.