Mom's in rehab until she can come home, she is wishing she is dead. What can I do?

I feel so helpless. She had suchers from a previous surgery start breaking through her skin and they became infected. she was operated on and was on antibiotics that caused her to get sores all over her entire body and because of the painful sores she used her arm too much and tore a tendon and now she is in rehab with a horrible roommate who complain about me calling in daytime hours because it wakes her up. Complains about her having a light on in the day so she keeps it dark and the roommate blast tv all night and poops in bed all day and has the room so stenchful it is agony to visit. she Complained my Mom snores but she snore so now she tries to stay awake. I can't get them to move my Mom to another room My Mom is saying she feels like she is dyeing she won't eat and wishes she was dead. I don't know what to do. I want her home but She is beyond my care now. she is so sick on her tummy and they say eat bus she can't . they are refusing her pain meds cause she is not eating and she is my ONLY family without her I am alone in the world. I feel so depressed and it is so bad I broke out crying at work and don't know what to do. I want her to be able to get home with me again

15

Answers

I will however discover my options if I can't bring her home. I can't make the same mistake and bring her home unable to move. The nurse at the hospital told me I would be able to take care of her so I will be careful.

I brought her home from her first hospital trip and she could not get out of bed and I was unable to move her with the torn tendon and had to call 911 this is why she went to rehab. I really don't think it was the tendon but the sores all over. I am hoping she can come home from this trip.

Well all hospital she is in have a record of her allergies and put them on her wrist but I am afraid when she was transferred from Celebration to downtown Orlando since they didn't do vascular surgery there they might have removed the celebration ones and not added them there. Since the downtown Hospital takes 3 buses and 4 hours or more I was unable to get there on time with working. It seems almost all antibiotics react on her.

Does she have a medical alert bracelet or necklace listing her antibiotic allergy? That's very important because it will continually remind everyone not to us it or others in its class.

That allergic reaction can get worse each time she takes that antibiotic. The reaction itself become life threatening. I have a friend who survived it but it was truly nasty, involving skin grafts and permanently closed tear ducts.

((Hug))

Many N/Hs call themselves residential and rehabilitation centers. and people of all ages can go there if for instance they need both nursing care and intensive P/T and there is no one who can look after them at home. I was offered rehab after my recent hospital stay and I declined the invitation! I could not imagine who my room mate might be as I am of the N/H age. I would have called a cab and snuck out in my hospital gown!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank God she is out of that terrible place. Make sure she does not go back there. She may be too much for you to manage at home as you have to work and she has so many things wrong with her. While she is in the hospital start looking for somewhere else she can go. Talk to the social worker at the hospital and tell him/her what the conditions were like and ask for help placing Mom somewhere better. Whatever time she has left she deserves to spend the time in a caring community. Take your friend with you to the hospital talk to the Dr., social worker and the discharge planner. If your Mom refuses to go back there they can't make her whatever they say. Tell her she must just say NO. With your love and a bit of determination I think she has a good chance of being around for a while longer. Any of her ailments can take her at anytime but with proper treatment and following instructions she can make it if she wants to. The Drs and nurses can only do so much. I think you still need to talk to hospice though, they are eyes on the ground far better than all the guessing we can do. If hospice thinks she is approaching the end and they have an in patient facility that could be the best solution.

I don't understand why the elderly have to go to nursing homes for residental rehabilitative services. Younger people can utilize the rehabilitative centers for their residential needs, why not the elderly. I know nursing homes get more money from temporary medicare/private insurance patients than long term medicaid patients. I am sure it costs even more at the rehabilitative centers, but why should the elderly be considered for the least cost effective treatment over younger people?

Her torn tendon is in her shoulder and she is still covered with sores from the bad antibiotic I told them not to use but I suspect they used again. Not the first time they did this,

Good and bad news her health go so bad she is in the hospital on the other hand if she can't come home with me I will look for other options and if she goes back to that horrible place I will not allow her to go back with that room mate and I will ask for help from my a little too strong mouthed and opinionated friend. My Mom is 74 and I don't think she is dyeing yet but totally depressed she is beyond my care and misses living with me. but hopefully she will be able to come home to me again when her torn tendon repairs and she has congestive heat failure, a fib, MS, and diabetes. But I believe with all the love I have she can make it for longer!

One thing I forgot was to suggest that you contact your States health board and complain about conditions in your Mom's N/H. You could probably do it anonymously.