My Mom refuses to eat and drink even water. We feed her through nasogastric tube+ Iv fluids. Advice?

She has mid form of loss of memory, incontinent and has osteoarthritis with unilateral knee replacement. Her general condition is good. I am afraid to do gastrostomy for her as she always remove any thing we put like cannula, ryele tube. other; she had multiple small gall stones long time ago. is antidepressant will help her & what you recommend for her, thank you

20

Answers

Talk with other people with the similar problem for back up and support. Find her best flavor drink or baby food she likes. you taste it too if you do not like it, do not give it to her. Mouth care before and after you feed her. Take your time at it , Feed her slowly. If you have a person to feed her meals watch her facial expression. do they like them and if not , Get some one else. you do not like every one you see.

Thanks Joann.

Nobody in good condition is being fed by NG and given hydration IV on any long term basis. Perhaps the daughter does not quite realize that her mother is not in good condition after all. There could be some denial in understanding the medical situation, or maybe the condition Mom is in is good enough to the daughter to believe that Mom should be kept alive in the ways they are using.

My MIL was in the hospital for UTI then rehab. All in all she was in pretty good health at 91. When she found she was not going to be able to go home and was being transferred to be closer to a son, she lost the will to live. For a woman in fairly good health there has to be a reason why she won't eat.

Llama, reread and saw that.

JoAnn: It states that her condition is good.

Llama, not eating and drinking are part of the dying process. Hospice will makee the person comfortable. They won't suffer.

This is serious and is a matter of urgency! A person cannot survive without water!!

I have seen quite a few horror stories of artificially feeding a person who can't even communicate, which prevents them from actually dying, but otherwise keeps them as close to being a corpse as a person can be without actually dying. Usually its because a family member's belief is that any life at all has enough quality of life to maintain it. And because not using these means of life extension is thought to be the same as making them die by persons of this viewpoint. I never felt good about keeping people alive this way, it always disturbed me, but I did do it. It was my job to carry out the family's wishes.

At this point, quality of life comes knocking. I hope for all of us, our families bring Hospice on board. No more does "hospice=death". Medicine has come a long way from that point. Pallative care works wonders...make the trip from life to death as easy as possible. Bless you in your journey