My mom has recently diagnosed with severe demetia but the doctors don't know why. - AgingCare.com

My mom has recently diagnosed with severe demetia but the doctors don't know why.

They prescribed her mementine but tell me they don't know the cause of her severe demetia. She has declined rapidly in 10 months.

20

Answers

Ferris sorry but I think we may have to agree to disagree here. Dementia is the umbrella term Alzeimers, inter alia, is the disease.

No need to validate nurses claim. I found out her meds were wrong after I put her in my home. It was causing problems with Dementia and falling. It took 5 visits and all those tests each time at 3 hospitals for the problem to be resolve. Unfortunately now she doesn't want to move back into her own place. There is absolutely nothing wrong with her except she can't do her banking and I can bet she could but why would she want to. Blame all this on the hospitals and all the Doctors for getting to this state of her feeling hopeless when she isn't.

terry615815: And you trust the nurse? Inlieu of that, why wouldn't you try to validate that?

terry615815, that nurse was wrong. For some people the drugs don't work for three months, let alone three years. For my husband one of the drugs continued working for 10 years -- which we found out when discontinuing it on hospice.

All that can really be said about the current batch of dementia drugs is that you won't know if they work until you try them. They don't usually work indefinitely. And, of course, none of them is a cure.

A nurse told me Meds for this has only a 3yr span to control and that is it. Nothing but to let it run its course

#1 Does she see a geriatric physician?
#2 Does she have a psychiatrist?
#3 Has she had a CT scan of her brain?
#4 Has she had an MRI of her brain?
I would think all of the above would be first and foremost courses of action!

Some years ago, I was prescribed several meds after a mild heart attack. In about two years, I developed dizziness, memory lapses, the beginning of a hand tremor, severe muscle weakness in my arms. Went back and read the handouts that come with the prescriptions, and found that the meds I was on are associated with the issues I had. I discontinued them, and within about 2 weeks practically everything was back to normal (except that it took a year to get full range of motion in my arms.). That was ten years ago, and I take carefully researched supplements and eat sparingly and carefully, and all my lab tests stay normal. My dr is willing to let me take the responsibility for my own body as long as the results are normal--but I've had doctors who think their patients are toddlers who don't know anything about their own bodies.

Very helpful answer. If I may, I personally witnessed serious confusion caused by Urinary Tract Infections which some medical personnel classified as dementia.
Can look the same but it is brought on by UTIs. Was the case with my mom. When treated she returns to herself. Worth reading up on the subject, it is more common than we realize. Unfortunately, in larger senior homes we cannot expect that everyone know our parent and what is normal, even with memory loss noticed how she could still function very well since memory is distributed in our bodies.
There is great information on the web, especially geriatricians. We will be there soon enough so gaining knowledge helps our parent, the medical experts and later ourselves. Good luck, sending thoughts of love and strength.

Terrypa,
What kind of doctors has your mom seen? We started with a Primary, then saw Neurologist who diagnosed with Vascular Dementia. Later other Primaries and a Geriatric Psychiatrist agreed on VD. Did they do MRI or other tests?

How old is your mom? Does she have other health problems, like diabetes or hypertension?

Sometimes, it helps to rule out some causes of Dementia. Other times, I'm not sure if it's that helpful. I might like to confirm the type of problem, if she was getting that medication, as it may not be helpful for some conditions.

Slight mistake in above post--my second husband died of stroke, first is still alive in memory care nursing home.