Mom receives Social Security monthly but is not very much. Are there any aids I can get for her? - AgingCare.com

Mom receives Social Security monthly but is not very much. Are there any aids I can get for her?

My mom is 87 years old and currently resides out of state where her sister-in-law takes care of her but can no longer do it due to illness and also my mom is showing beginning symptoms of dementia. I am her only child so this falls on me, I would like to find a place for both us of to live that has disability access for her, she has difficulty walking and uses a cane, walker and wheel chair, I will be in need for someone to care for her during the day while I work and every now and then on weekends, have no clue where to begin, are there any health plans that will cover any of these cost, I am recently divorced and trying to make ends meet and do not have the funds to help her. she does receive Social Sec monthly but is not very much. Are there any aids I can get for her? I live in Winter Park, FL. HELP, any advise will be appretiated.

27

Answers

1 3
To the OP, as some have said here, do look over these posts before making any decision.

Vimachick - I'm sorry to hear of this development. The only saving grace is that you know the situation before she gets here so you have a better idea what to do.

I'm not sure about A Place for Mom. My understanding is that they receive commissions from the facilities they steer families towards, so I suspect they are more likely to direct you to high-end facilities that your mother won't be able to afford. It sounds like your mother will need Medicaid, and if that's the case she'll be limited to facilities that accept Medicaid and have space for a new Medicaid patient.

If I were you I'd start at the Find Care tab in at the top right of this website. Also I believe I sent you a few resources in a private message. These agencies will charge you for their services, but they are working for you not the facility.

Hello Everyone,
I finally caught up with everyone's answers. It turns out that I will have to put my mother in a nursing home after all, she lives in Puerto Rico and recently my ex husband went to visit her and she did not recognize him which to him was very devastating, so this changes things for me on having her live with me, she will need care 24/7. I wrote my aunt (her sister-in-law) a letter asking her to send me copies of all her information, SS, how much she gets monthly, current insurance plan, copy of her medical records and a list of all the medicines she is currently taking, etc. That will give me somewhere to start. I feel very overwhelmed with all this. I am going to seek professional advise from an elderly lawyer, I have no idea where to start. I have to put her in a nursing home as soon as she gets here from PR and another thing is she does not speak any English which is another factor, but I guess I can work that out with the nursing home whenever the time comes. I have been told to seek counseling at A Place for Mom? Is that something I should do?
I'm so glad I am in this support group, I cry often, but is a way for me to seek help and to vent my feelings.

Nadin144 - Thanks for bringing up the Managed Long Term Services and Supports Program. That didn't exist in Florida when I started looking for help for my mother and I didn't realize how much home help you can get with it. You have to be eligible for Medicaid, but at least you don't need to live in the vicinity of a PACE center. This would be a good resource for my mother as well if needed down the line.

Ok so social security,VA, Shine,Pace. I'm petrified becAuse my mom.moved in wiith me and I do more and more for her and work. I have osteoporosis and cant lift anymore. I don't know when it's going to happen. Should I be proactive and what first. She only has social security and it's not great.

Try to get MLTSS - Managed Long Term Services and Supports Program. Not many people know about this new program. My husband has Alzheimer's and he got now 40 hours a week Home Health Services. His SS is $2,500.00, he had Medicare, now with this program he got Medicaid too. It's a big help. Go online or ask your Social worker about it.

Did your father, or Mom's husband join the military and serve in an authorized war like WWII or Korea? If so, lots of possible help from VA Aid and Attendance.

I have been my 85yo moms caregiver for 10 years and I can explain the process I've gone through. We live in Missouri and I simply moved her in with me. She receives SS, Medicaid and Medicare. The division of senior services is who I went through to get assistance with caregiving while I work. A caregiver comes in M-Sat for about 6 hours. I have a different person that comes on Sundays because the agency doesn't have anyone that wants to work on Sundays. My job I work weekends, so I need help 7 days a week. I pay out of pocket for 4hrs on Sundays. Her medical is covered by Medicaid and Medicare. Her medication is no cost to us, or her doctor visits. I hope this was helpful.

Your mom is 87, you should speak to an elder care attorney in Florida if you are moving her to Florida.  Or the state she is living in, if she will remain there. If you are staying in Florida, and want to bring your mom to Florida so you can keep an eye on her care, speak to drs, pharmacys, and make sure she gets clothing, over the counter items, and proper care that would be thoughtful and from my own experience necessary. I visited my mom in a living assisted facility several times a week to make sure she was okay and she had what she needed.  I also did some of her laundry and brought her things she needed. Lawyers usually offer 1 free consultation so you want to make sure you know as much as possible before meeting with them. They are great to use for applying for "Medicaid", it is a difficult process with certain deadlines that lawyers can handle and insure you get benefits.  Every year an evaluation form is required to be filled out or benefits can be lost, you will need to fill them out for your mom or make sure a social worker where she lives fills it out.  Medicaid in some states provide "some" in home care, you need to look into this, it is usually "not" 24 hr care. And I don't think it is 24 hr care in Florida.
 I moved my mom from Florida to NY, and took whatever money she had a spent it down in a living assisted facility that accepted 1 yr paydown, most require 2 yrs. Then she went on Medicaid. The facility kept her in a Medicaid room and she remained there for yrs, at 95 I had to move her to a nursing home for a higher level of care. Some LAF have Dementia units, then she would not have to be moved.   Medicaid covered her room/board and most medical costs, Medicare and her secondary insurance covered allot of costs too. I paid for her shoes, clothing, make-up, eye glasses, over the counter items, etc. The podiatrist to cut her toe nails was covered every 90 days I had to pay to have him come more often. The facility did weekly finger manicures for free. She had an allowance in the LAF of 135.00 a month that helped. Nursing homes the allowance was 35.00 a month.  This was deducted from her social security and left for her to use, the rest went to the facility. From my experience, I had to make sure mom used her money now to pay off her funeral & burial expenses; they need to be irrevocable under Medicaid laws. If she has funeral arrangements in another state than where she will live, you will also have to arrange funeral plans locally so she can be picked up and flown back to where her burial will be, this cost over 4500.00 in 2016. If she has money use it for this and this also needs to be irrevocable according to Medicaid. In order to qualify for Medicaid you have to have less than 2000.00 in the bank, and you have to show 5 yrs of statements, certain receipts, check copies of what her money was spent on. Her banks will give you copies of her statements.  You need to have a Durable POA, Health Care POA, Living Will, Health Care Proxy, and some other forms in place. The Elder Care attorney helps with this, but it must be done in the state she is going to live in. Ask your mom if she has a Will, this is important to have as well. From my experience, you will need to set up a bank account in the state she is living in with automatic deposit of her SS monies.  Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid will request your POA form so you can handle things on behalf of your mom.  I believe, if you place your mom in a facility and sign papers and don't figure out the financials prior they can hold you liable for costs, this is why it is important to speak to an Elder Care Attorney. I believe a new law is being put in place to protect POA's and care givers.  Unfortunately, there is more to do than anyone realizes, not to scare you, but the more you know the better you will be. If she gave away any large sums of money in the 5 yr look back time frame she will be penalized with a longer wait to receive benefits. My mom was very poor so they could have looked back 50 yrs. At 87 her needs will increase and you may not be able to provide them, the reality of it is the fact that you need to recognize this. We all love our parents, with all our hearts, but the system is a difficult one to navigate and unfortunately financially there is little help. I wish I could help you more, my heart goes out to you, as I can relate to what you are experiencing and what the road ahead could be like. Florida is known for being a great state of the elderly in many ways, but some LAFacilities do not take elderly people if they do not have enough for the spend-down, and some won't take people who are on Medicaid, and some do not have nursing facilities connected to them. Nursing Homes accept Medicaid residents if they have room, some have a waiting list, you need to make calls. You need to call a few Living Assisted Facilities and ask if they have a dementia unit and if they accept Medicaid patients, and if they have a spend down requirement. You need to know your mom's medical insurance, benefits, and how much money she has; the elder care attorney will need to know all this prior to your call or consultation. I wish you my best, and hope this helped.

Send me.....

Social Security will not talk to her. Not until after she goes through their unique process to be designated authorized by them. Even having the POA all neat and legal was not enough for them.

I went through this process. What a nightmare...and it took 8 weeks. Then..social security decided My application was not going to be accepted.....I finally got the family lawyer involved! Good grief.

Best bet with SS? Get all her private info together...including all sorts of info about where she was born, etc. then..pretend to be her. Faster and much simpler.

1 3