My Mom has quit looking at people when they talk to her and/or she is talking to them. Any thoughts on why? - AgingCare.com

My Mom has quit looking at people when they talk to her and/or she is talking to them. Any thoughts on why?

83yo… moderate vascular dementia due to multiple strokes… lives with me currently but will be moving to assisted living at end of summer… lots of behavioral issues that I deal with via "tough love"… most bad behavior just an extension of life-long mental illness and total self-centeredness…nothing new there…

18

Answers

My mom won't look at me when she wants to ignore me or is focused on something more important to her plus she is extremely hard of hearing and gets mad when I don't bend over to her good ear

To all who asked questions relating to the five senses, at least three of them in elders are impaired and they are vision (the most common reason is macular degeneraton-bear in mind that there are two kinds of this, e.g. wet or dry), hearing and olfactory, e.g, sense of smell. Thus far in this journey called life I have not heard of any elder losing the fourth sense, which would be sense if touch (I suppose it's possible, though). Nor have I heard about loss of taste.

when i am speaking to my mother i noticed that she does not look at me,is it normal for a dementa patient

Is she always turning the same ear towards the speaker? Could be she hears better on one side and turns to listen. Or as above, she can only see out the side. Vascular dementia has left my MIL very frustrated, she wanted new glasses because hers were "no good". The eye doctor apologetically told her he can't improve her vision, the mini strokes have taken their toll.

Mom recently saw her primary care and all is stable, hearing test went well, and recently saw her eye doctor and her acuity is fine, have been told by all three is behavioral… as for the "tough love", if I don't keep really firm boundaries and house rules in place, she wrecks havoc in our household… she thrives on drama and if there is none, goes out of her way to create it… I understand she has dementia and that makes her live difficult but she is still "with it" enough to understand what is unacceptable and implement it to try to manipulate the situation… other times, our days are great… just wondered what might be behind the lack of looking at people trying to talk to her… thanks for the input

are you sure she is hearing them?? she may be hard of hearing

Just had her to eye doctor. She did fine with the charts and exam. This is not a daily thing. Just every so often. She will see him once a year just in case something pops up.

Sounds like she may need a full medical workup, medications may help with the behaviors but if she has some vision or hearing issues she may not look at who is speaking. Also dementia can cause changes in a person including looking at people when they speak, disruptive behaviors and their ability to communicate effectively.

JoAnn29 - I would suspect she has macular degeneration... :( As Llamalover47 said, their central vision is messed up, so maybe she can see better from the side.

Patrice2oz: Answer=she may have macular degeneration and thus, not be able to see you or where you are. In cases of MD, a person's central vision is blacked out. They cannot see a person's face, even close up. How do I know this? My mmother suffered from MD.