Mom was prescribed the Exelon patch...I'm concerned about the side effects....how well does it work? - AgingCare.com

Mom was prescribed the Exelon patch...I'm concerned about the side effects....how well does it work?

My mom lives with me. I am her caretaker. She has mild to moderate dementia. Her doctor said the Exelon patch may slow down her memory loss. Any positive or negative feedback would be welcomed.

1

Answer

My Dad was prescribed the Exelon patch about 2 years ago. He takes it along with Seroquel and Levodopa/Carbidopa. I'm not sure the patch has had any significant effect on his symptoms, as I'm not really sure how you can tell! The symptoms progress at different rates for different people. I know that he's gotten worse over the course of the 2 years. I also know that, according to medical authorities, the positive effects of any AD medication wear off after about 18 months. I can't positively state that my Dad has encountered any of the harsher side effects of Exelon, but he does often complain of upset stomach and does have sleeping problems, on top of his Alzheimer's symptoms. If your Mom is in the earlier stages of dementia I would assume it might slow down her symptoms for a while, but who really knows? I would suggest you give it a try, watch for any really bad side effects, and let your doctor know right away if you see any. Sometimes meds work for one person and not another. Good luck to you and your Mom!

• While caregivers and their loved ones affected by dementia should not give up hope of leading rewarding and enjoyable lives, it is important to be realistic about an Alzheimer's or dementia diagnosis.
  • Dementia Aware. What does that mean? I read this all the time. Dementia aware restaurants, public places, even dementia aware cities.
  • For a person diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease, feelings of chaos and confusion are commonplace. People living with Alzheimer's offer caregivers their perspective on what it's like to live with the disease.
  • Wearing purple, using hashtags and changing your profile picture on social media won't end Alz, but there are other significant ways that you can have a beneficial impact on patients and families who are dealing with dementia.
  • The AgingCare.com forum is filled with people coming together to share valuable information. We’ve compiled experienced caregivers’ best tips for preventing elopement during episodes of wandering.