Mom's picking at her nails and nose until they bleed. Advice?

Tried gloves...she just pulls them off. Gave her wooden rosary beads to hold. Not sure if it is making any difference yet

25

Answers

1 2 3
In my former life before this one, I owned a hair/nail salon. If you can get her nails done with acrylic (artificial nails) she won't be able to bite them and they are not as sharp as real nails so when she scratches her nose it won't dig in. If she is determined, she could possibly pick those nails off, especially when they begin to grow out, but I think it would work. I'm a cuticle picker and have been since high school. I can't pick my cuticles if I'm wearing artificial - acrylic nails. They're just not sharp enough. I don't know how much they cost these days, but you'll have to have them touched up every 2 weeks or so. Plus, her nails will be pretty again!

When i took over the care of her toenails, foothbaths, pedicures, etc., her toes have taken a 100o/o improvement. She was trying to do her toes on her own with not much success.

Oh, she's gotten herself into way too much trouble playing Facebook games. I'm embarrassed to say how many thousands of dollars she spent on them before I discovered it. It might not be a bad idea for me to find some software/games to buy and have on her computer, though. Thanks for the reminder! I'm not familiar with Lumosity, but I'll check into it. Thanks again for all the good ideas! Bless all the folks offering each other help. It gives me hope. You guys rock! Hugs all around.

Deb, I just reread your post and started thinking about Internet games. Could she do Lumosity? I do that myself, preventively, I hope! Whether or not they will help prevent dementia, they are super fun! The money is quite reasonable. I believe I paid $79.99 for a year, but it is available for $9.99/month, too.

Alpha3, Yes the zoloft can be given with HBP. If the neurologist or doctor prescribes it, have him go on very slowly and never stop it, you have to wean off it. Chances are, he will stay on it. My Moms on paxil, she went on it for anxiety before dementia, and has been on it over 20 years. Its in the same family as zoloft, an ssri. Good luck everyone, My Moms chewing is calming down since I took her off one of her medications. She is only on paxil, hbp, and b12's now for memory.

Thanks, Jnelson. There were a lot of good suggestions in there!

My Dad picks at his skin also. He has dementia. Since he is on blood thinners, bleeding often occurs and that is another problem. I didn't realize it was part of dementia. Good luck to all.

Deb, forgot to add that the bubble wrap seems particularly satisfying to her. I cut it into strips for her. She can pop every bubble! Just avoid the sticky kind.
Jenny

Hi Deb, Go to Amazon or Google and do a search for "Fidget toys for adults" (or for ADHD) and you will find the best interactive toys. I bought the following for my 95-year old mother: Hyperflex stretchy string, Neutron light-up ball, Toysmith Liquid Motion Bubbler, Squishy Mesh Ball, Polygonzo Geo-Twister. Also, consider TANGLES! She has several of those. They come in all sizes and textures. When you read the reviews for Tangles, you'll find teachers using them to keep adhd kids' hands busy so their mind can concentrate on school. Hmmm. Impressive for our purposes, too!

I haven't had this issue with my Mom, yet. The first thing that came to my mind was gloves. I know it was a common thing in days past for ladies to wear gloves. Maybe it would help, not just as a preventive way, but taking pride in her appearance?

Jnelson, I'd love to know more about the interactive toys you wrote about. My mom has also talked recently of needing something to do with her hands. She spent a lot of time (and money) on internet games. She used to do needlework and crochet, but says she can't really do that any more.

Good luck with your parents, everyone!

1 2 3