My mom has passed but her social security check was directly deposited to our joint checking account. Will SS take it back or do I need to send it to them? - AgingCare.com

My mom has passed but her social security check was directly deposited to our joint checking account. Will SS take it back or do I need to send it to them?

My mom and myself had a joint checking account after my dads death as I paid all her bills and took care of her financial obligations. Now my mom has passed away and her social security check was directly deposited. I am pretty sure social security will take it back, but my question is, do they withdraw it from the account or do I need to write a check and send it to them? The funeral home said they would contact SS so I assume I will get some sort of correspondence?

19

Answers

Actually, Soc. Sec. takes back the payment deposited the month the person dies then no more payment is made. Papa's payment was direct deposited the first of each month then he died on March 21 and they took the March payment back before the end of the month and never made another payment. Try to get them to act that quickly on something you want or need from them.

Our Papa's was sucked out of our account so fast it would have given you whiplash. The funeral home will take care of notifying Soc. Sec. then they will take it out and you're done.

If the deceased was receiving Social Security benefits,
you must return the benefit received for the month of
death or any later months. For example, if the person
dies in July, you must return the benefit paid in August.
If received by direct deposit, contact the bank or other
financial institution and ask them to return any funds
received for the month of death or later.

My Mom died on July 2nd. Just today, October 5th, my sister received a check for 20% of her monthly social security check. At least one of my 3 brothers has received a check to expect similar payment. The same amount was deposited to her checking account last week with my name in notation. I assume these are for what was due to our Mom for June. Since this took over 3 months, you may need to keep the account active longer. Shortly after our Moms death I received a form from SSA asking for all her dependents names, SS#s and addresses. So glad it wasn't a scam!

They can route it right back out of her account. Take a copy of her death certificate to her bank to show she passed so they can take care of this for you. It used to be that in Ohio if the checks routed before you passed then the family got to keep the money but if it routed after you passed then your family had to return it to Social Security's treasury. I didn't know this until someone pointed it out to me but check the current laws of your state. I would actually go in and visit the bank to see what to do with this particular check but her Social Security will definitely have to be stopped and the bank can help you with this

It all has to do with "when" they passed. And from some previous postings on other questions, SS can make a mistake. Like said, the check deposited in October is actually Septembers check. If a family member dies too close to the check being deposited, it's not enough time for SS to pull the check. My Mom died Sept 23. Even though notified, probably not enough time to stop the September check deposited the first week of October. This check will probably have to be returned to SS by the nursing home. I had nothing to do with SS after Mom was admitted. They were set up as payee. I think there is something about what time of the month a person passes.

Country mouse, Good point! However, I think the recipient of SS probably has to agree in the initial application that any money paid in error can be reclaimed.
In any event, I made the mistake of telling the bank to return SS paid later in the same month my loved one died. After a few months, SS repaid that amount to the estate, without my even asking.

Errr...???

I hesitate to comment on another country's banking practices, but there's a world of difference between an organisation's being able to deposit money in your bank account, and its being able to take money out of it (even if they did put it in in the first place). Do you not have to authorise the repayment, or anything at all?

They will automatically withdraw the money
Even though the funeral home called I would make a call yourself or get to one of the offices to file yourself.

126Cher is correct.
My mother passed on January 1 so the check was hers to keep. Well, it was my Dad's to keep.

Watch for pension checks as they too can and will be pulled. I had to send back Dad's pension check.

I'm sorry for the loss of your mother.