Mom passed away. How do I say thank you to the nursing home staff?

Mom passed away about two weeks ago and I would like to thank the nursing home staff who took care of her - I only know a couple of people there. Do you have any suggestions?
I also want to thank everyone here for being so kind and helpful. This forum has made such a difference in my life, even if I wasn't much of a caregiver - I took care of the paperwork, and visited Mom in the nursing home. I could have done more, but I am OK with guilt. I am just trying to get things right as much as I can now.

16

Answers

Big box of Sees candy and a letter/card.

I gave each of the nurses a nice medium sized wind chime from a florist and had them delivered. I also gave the same one to my banker and the vice president of the bank. They all loved them.

Bee, my thoughts are with you and your family. I am in the same situation and have been thinking of ways to thanks the wonderful ICU staff for all they did for my mom and my family. My sister and I are still trying to write it, but our newspaper has a "thank you" column, so we want to write a thank you note. That is a public way to thank everyone. I do like the idea of letters for the staff also, so that they can be in their personnel file. My mom was only in the hospital from Saturday to Wednesday, but all of her nurses and doctors were so kind and fell in love with her. They cried along with us when she passed. We really need to do something special for the caregivers, who although it is their job, do their job with so much care and compassion.

Have pizza delivered to staff, two shifts; flower arrangements; plant a tree if facility allows; speak at staff meeting if public speaking is your thing. Truly, nothing is expected...so bless your heart.

I am so very sorry for your loss. I don't think you have to go over the top, e. g. possibly a home-made banana bread or cookies and a thank you card would be welcomed.

I like the letter idea to the director. Also, the chocolate idea making sure each shift gets something. You could also do a luncheon.

Bee1998 I am very sorry to learn of Your dear Mom's passing recently.
My Mother went on Her first Restbite Care stay on June 16 last year at a beautiful Nursing Care Home not far from home. Without any warning Mom passed away peacefully and without pain five days later. Mother had alzheimer's but thank God She had A+ memory to the very end. All the Staff there were wonderful to Us, and my Brother and I brought two large box of chocolates with a thank You Card, one for the day Staff on Moms Ward, and the other for the Staff on Night Duty. It's the personal thanks that is appreciated the most.

While a card is nice I think a letter would be better. Much better way to express yourself.
And if there is a person or several people that were outstanding in their care or treatment of you and your Mother I think a letter to the Director as well as a copy to each individual would be great. They would have in their personnel file your comments and praise and each would also have a letter that they can use when and if they ever apply for another job.
And once you are done with the letters ask when a good day to have a special treat brought in. You can make it as simple as cookies or other home baked items or candy or ordering a few pizzas or a meat and cold cut tray with bread and rolls so people can make sandwiches.
I am sure that they do not get the thanks that they need.
You are a sweetheart for thinking of them.

My condolences on the death of your mom Bee.

As far as thanking the staff, you don't owe them anything. Their "thanks" should be that you trusted them to take care of your mom. If you feel you should thank them, a card should be enough, or even better you could write a letter of thanks, and mail it to them.

We brought in several nice packages of wrapped chocolates and walked around distributing them to the kitchen staff, the social activities staff, a few for the nurses and aids, to cover all shifts. At each stop people said nice things about Mom. Several people hugged us. It turned out to be a comforting activity for my sisters and me, as well as showing appreciation for the staff.

For the memorial service we used potted plants as well as bouquets, and brought them to the nursing home the next day.