I'm POA for Mom. She just signed new car lease. Can I get her out of it? - AgingCare.com

I'm POA for Mom. She just signed new car lease. Can I get her out of it?

My mom has breast cancer - has gone through 3 surgeries, chemo, and multiple hospital stays this year. She's also on some medications that effect her judgement and decision making. She just went and signed a lease for a brand new car without asking anyone & she can not afford this! Can I get her out of it since I'm her POA??

2

Answers

Great. Yes, I'm going there tomorrow - taking her and the car back. She said she didn't have to have a down payment. When she told me and I started asking her questions about it, she didn't even know how long of a contract she signed or how much the payment was - I had to look at the copy of the contract.

I think so. Can you go to the dealer? You (she) has 3 days to cancel a contract, I think.

How did she get the down payment and the financing?

• Two common scenarios are when a caregiver no longer wishes to be POA and when a family member wants to challenge the legality of a POA’s actions. Changes are dependent on the principal’s competency, how the document is written and the desired outcome.