She has Dementia & PD, uses a walker with our guidance. 2 months ago she asked us to take her every 15-30 minutes and didn’t urinate when we took her. No UTI. So we just started taking her once an hour. Now she’s wetting before we take her. She’s wearing Sams “Member” Maximum protection. Any suggestions on the best underpants? Dr said her memory is the age of an 8th grader, that’s pretty good.

Were going to continue using the Sams pull-ups during the day and Abena at night. Thanks for caring,
Reply to Petalpshr48

For some unknown reason she started telling when she needed to go. BUT, I’m doing what you suggested and asking her if it’s been 45 minutes. Gonna see how this works. Thank you,
Reply to Petalpshr48

You are not going to educate her as her dementia progresses. So understand that you will have to adjust your behavior. Get rid of all underpants and get full pull ups. Please do not call them diapers. Start purchasing washable bed pads. She may lose control with wetting when she stands up. It may not be necessary to change her for dribbling. Keep looking at different posts to see what will or will not work for her.
My suggestion for heavy wetting is the Abena brands
Petalpshr48 Feb 15, 2020
We ordered the Abena protective underwear. She wore them last night. First time ever her urine didn’t leak. We have been using the washable bed pads at night and during day. Thank you for the good advice.
(3)
Pay attention to fluid intake and frequency. Maybe keep a simple log so you can tell what interval works.

After she pees, have her lean forward (while still seated on the toilet) which will help the bladder empty more completely. There is medication that will help her empty her bladder if that seems to be the problem.

My aunt uses depends with an overnight poise pad inserted. It works pretty well for her.
Reply to 97yroldmom
Petalpshr48 Feb 15, 2020
We started keeping track of fluid intake on an eraser board, which was a good idea. She actually started telling us when she needs to pee instead of just peeing in her pull ups. Things seem to change for the bad just as quickly as they do for the good though. Thanks for the ideas n
(1)
Yes, she will have to go frequently to the bathroom and just buy the highest absorption protection you can buy.

Also. sit on the toilet for a long time because if her bladder isn’t completely empty she will have to go five minutes later.
Reply to NeedHelpWithMom
Petalpshr48 Feb 15, 2020
ok. Bought better pull-ups, that helped, having her sit a little longer and leaning forward. Lots of good advice. Life is trial and error now, Thank you.
(1)
My dad had the best luck with Sam's brand.

Can I recommend that you try every 45 minutes and see if that helps her not have so many accidents.

Is someone prompting her when she is on the toilet? I would try that and change the frequency of trips by 5 minute intervals until I found the perfect timing.