Mom needs grocery delivery to home. Are their services in Los Angeles Co., where she can call, and tell them what she needs? - AgingCare.com

Mom needs grocery delivery to home. Are their services in Los Angeles Co., where she can call, and tell them what she needs?

Not online. I work and go to school. I'm too busy most of the time to cater to her every need on a timely basis. Sometimes, she's waiting on me to have time to do her grocery shopping. She's no longer computer savvy, as most services require that you order, and pay for your groceries online, then they'll deliver. I'm looking for senior services, where mom can call, tell them what she needs. Possibly give them her debit card # over the phone to pay. Then they'll deliver. Has anyone dealt with this before? I need some options. Even if there's a program where she pays a monthly fee. Thanks for your help!
(P.S. Mom's at home bored all day, so she cooks a lot. She can no longer drive herself to the market to restock her groceries. Although I never let her run out of food completely, she still runs out of things, and has to wait on me to have time. Which puts a lot of stress and pressure on me; amount other things she needs me to do for her. Never thought I'd have another person who would lean on me for almost everything). Thanks again for any info you can provide.

17

Answers

Got Nosh, grocery shopping and delivery service # (844) got-nosh, email gotnosh@outlook. You can phone order in, or email items needed along with phone number and address groceries are to be delivered to.

Kathy1951,

That's all I can do is try. Thanks for your help.

TLC1977

To Freqflyer,

Thanks for your apology. I agree that these things can be a bit stressful. Thanks again for your advice. Currently, she and I are making progress with the grocery situation. There are many other obstacles we must concur, and in time, we will.

TLC1977

To Roselyn103,

Thanks! We tried Vons, and they're pretty awesome. They've got same day or next day delivery, depending on the time you put your order in. They've delivered 2x's ssince while I was at work, and she extremely satisfied. She's told me that she'll start practicing getting her orders in herself, of course with me by her side, until she's able to do it on her own. I think it will help build her since of confidence and independence. As she used to be on her laptop everyday, not short of 3yrs ago. If not, we'll find other options. No matter what, I'm going to make sure she never goes without.
TLC1977

I needed a shopping service for myself (in Los Angeles area) when my husband was out of town. I ordered through Envoy.com and was very satisfied. There is also Instacart but I haven't tried that. Yes, the first order took a very long time, but I couldn't go to the store myself. I am feeling better now but am planning to use Envoy again. I suspect it will get faster to do as time goes by.

I have lots of mottos: Her is another one: You (the daughter) have to learn to suspend your own agenda at lots of times in the process. It gets down to the simple form. Clearly Mom wants groceries and does not have a way to get them without you going out and getting them. So the agenda is to locate another option or two or three and try them. What she buys, which list, what the final answer is...maybe you can't tell for sure. The success is in the trying. Try.

TLC1977, I know the first time I was on the on-line grocery ordering website, it took me several hours to get everything set up... it was a learning curve trying to navigate the software. Now I have my parent's grocery list saved in an on-line account. So now I can quickly [if one calls a half hour quick] go through their list, and there is always a bunch of new items I need to search for, or substitute which my Mom didn't like... she wanted her brand as anything else tasted funny :P

I know for myself caring for my elderly parents was a totally new experience, mainly all trial and error until I came to this website.

Sorry if I sounded rude when I had first answered you, one tends to get harden dealing with the elderly and I prefer to tell it like it is without any sugar coating.... it has helped me deal with this new journey a lot easier.

Personally, I think that was a good victory on the Von's delivery, and not all that long to get it done. I have taken quite a bit of time to do what should seem fast for Mom at so many times that I no longer judge myself by the clock. I feel like you are going to be successful on this one step at a time. I am glad you didn't get total resistance from Mom, she might be able to see the point that staying independent means adapting and not only pushing your kids to work for you.

Since your mom doesn't want to learn the computer stuff, can you make a basic shopping list that you can repeat every week or month and then add a few items as needed and order that online for her?

I do all of my mom's shopping in person, but I know what she needs on a pretty regular basis. You can do it online pretty quickly once you get the general schedule set up and understand how quickly your mom uses things. I feel good when I get my mom's pantry full-to-the brim, because I know I don't have to worry about it for a while. So look to buying in bulk and buying ahead, so your mom always has something she can make. Frozen foods are great for that.

Does your mom use a computer at all, like could she check off things she wants you to order for her? Or does she stay away from it all together? How old is your mom? I know around here they have senior classes for computer stuff if she's at all interested in learning.

I also used to volunteer to go with a person (a blind man in my case) weekly to get his groceries for him. He'd go and then I'd unload them into his kitchen. You could also explore to see if something like that exists where your mom lives. This was through a church group, even though I didn't belong to the church.

Tlc, you have no idea what "tone" is inside someone's head when they are typing. The tone and the sarcasm are all inside of you.

This caregiving is a long haul journey. People here are genuinely trying to help, and we find humor to be a good tool. Please try to see that.