Since my Mom moved in with us our finances have really gone down hill. Any advice?

My husband is the only one working as I am on disability, am applying for aid and attendance for mom but was told we need receipts for everything. We have not kept any receipts because we didn't think we would need them for anything. Can someone please tell me what i need to fill out the aid and attendance forms. We are still waiting for her dd214 to arrive

13

Answers

Thanks so much for all of the help. I did contact our local VA and the Veterans Angels and they have been such a great help. She goes to the Mac center 2 days a week and really enjoys it. My brother is taking her this weekend, I called and explained that he needs to spend some time with her since he hasn't been around her for the past year. Will keep you posted on how mom makes out and thanks again for all of your helpful information.

I recently applied for A&A for mom. Benefits started 3 months later. I did not need reciepts to apply but must keep the now that she has benefits. With a care contract between you and her these benefits can be used to pay you for caring for her. If you check my profile you will find name of my blog where i posted the steps i took to get her benefits. Hope the best for you.

Please remember the benefit is tax-free to the person RECEIVING services. If the state pays YOU to PROVIDE services, the money is taxable to the person PROVIDING services to someone on Medicaid, VA Aid, etc.

There is an agency called Veterans Angels it's a non-profit agency who can walk you through the process. They are helping me they also suggested I pay myself as a caregiver for proof of caregiver expenses. I also am taking mom to adult day care and also her private home care. I now am saving all her expenses. I filled in August of this year it take around one year to receive benefits. The paperwork is lengthy but you can get up to 1,100 a month you have nothing to lose except the benefits that belong to your loved one. Update us. Love to all.

No receipts? Receipts are necessary for income taxes, deductions, and proof you bought something. If you are caring for someone else, especially someone tied to the military you have to prove everything with receipts. START KEEPING RECEIPTS! Even sales tax is deductible when filing income taxes and itemizing...If you paid with your bank card there will be a record, but you need to separate your expenses from hers. DO NOT comingle accounts!

Betty, does NH do it? We are here to help eachother, why do they take things down ww can use!

BettyA,
Thank you. I hope this helps the original poster of this question and anyone else in these states. Very good information. There's at least 1 other person asking for this same info. I'll pass it on.

Coloresue-
TX, CT, IN, LA, MA, RI, OH. Call your local Area Agency on Aging. Just make sure you are asking about a service where you live with the person and get paid a stipend to do it. I have tried to post the names of companies that provide this service through the Area Agency on Aging.....but the site administrator took it down and said I would not be able to participate if I put up a company name. I can tell you it is really happening, because I work for 1 of the companies that does it. There are more and more companies doing it everyday and the states that have the service are increasing too.

BettyA2007,
Can you give any specifics? What states? At which dept. would a person apply? How to find this information?

What state do you live in? Several states can now pay family members or friends to provide service if the person lives with you. The average reimbursement / stipend is $1000 a month, tax-free.