My mother has made another doctor's appointment in secret. What should I do? - AgingCare.com

My mother has made another doctor's appointment in secret. What should I do?

I am confused about what I should do. Since last December my mother has complained of itching. We went to her PCP two or three times and a dermatologist once. They told her nothing was wrong and told her to use hydrocortisone creme. She also had some feminine itching, so she made an appointment with a gynecologist, who found nothing wrong and prescribed a hydrocortisone creme. For the last two weeks she has been wanting to go to the doctor again for her itching. I told her we had gone several times and I wouldn't take her again. She denied even going to the doctor, though I don't think she believes her denials. My mother loves to visit doctors.

This evening we received a recorded call from the dermatologists office to confirm the appointment on Friday. I don't know what to do. I haven't mentioned it to her. I know she will expect me to take her even after I told her I wouldn't. I know it is a waste of our time and Medicare dollars.

I haven't mentioned to her that I know yet, because I haven't decided what I should do. I thought I would ask what the people here would do. I dread another battle, but I am embarrassed to keep running to the doctors when they can't help.

34

Answers

1 3 4
Oh Damn, radiation causes terrible rash and itchiness! Did I really miss that?!!

JessieBelle; you didn't mention the radiation treatments. There are some cancer treatments that can cause extreme itchiness. Sorry if I sounded less than sympathetic! Hugs!

Hey Ladies, PLEASE go to youtube and look this video up. IT'S A LIFESAVER! It's also hysterical!

Go Red for Women Premiere Short Film – Just a Little Heart Attack

I think it's spring. I always get really edgy and nervous in spring. The young man who lives behind me and has schizophrenia is really losing it lately. I don't know if it's the rapidly changing weather, or all the pollens in the air. There are huge thunderheads building to the north of me. It may also be a body memory for me, I have them in autumn as well. Ok, well I need to run out the door and get Steve some smokes. I'll be back later.

No, Christina. You weren't sounding edgy. I was referring to RnAllison's words that I was not supporting my mother in her attempts to find relief in this thread. I've been noticing many unkind remarks made to people in other threads and wondered why the group seemed more on edge than normal.

I'm sorry-- was I sounding edgy? I apologize.

RnAllison, I know you probably don't know as much about my situation as many do, but I take my mother to the doctor very often. Lately it has been 3-4 times a week. This includes her PCP, a gynecologist, a dermatologist, and an oncologist (radiation treatments skins cancer). Then there have been all the accessory trips to get the medicines and cremes to make her feel better. I thought I mentioned all the doctors here, but maybe not. Anyway... I had to chuckle about not supporting my mother. She probably does feel that way, though, since I finally said enough.

Everything is okay now. The last trip to the dermatologist did the trick. He found nothing wrong and prescribed the hydrocortisone again. I put if on her back a couple of times until she said she didn't itch anymore.

Is it my imagination or is the group starting to get pretty edgy?

A few years ago, my Mother had terrible itching and I took her to MY doctor instead of the senior care group, who I soon dumped because of their condescension and rushed appointments.
It was difficult getting her on the table but you gotta do what you gotta do!
Her vaginal area and surrounding skin was bright red. Doctor gave her a cream-- I can get the name if you want at the pharmacy.
He said it could be from med reaction, or from prolapsed bladder, overall weakening of internal organs. She was going nuts over it, and that was beside the dementia. Please call your gynecologist and get her some relief. Let me know on my wall if you want name of cream. It worked . xo

If she is still itching, then she has the right to see the doctor again. Because you aren't supporting her in her search for relief, she is of course going to make appointments in "secret" . Take her to the dermatologist, tell them it is driving her crazy. There are WAY more treatments than hydrocortisone cream. There are different ointments, pills, creams, lotions and potions that can help better than over the counter products. Sounds like she is being blown off by the doctors because she is elderly.

Tonight I was playing with her. Since she has been itching, she has blamed this hapless tree that is in my neighbor's yard. She said she was allergic to that tree because she has been itching since she picked up some leaves from it. That was last November when she picked up leaves from several trees when we were raking. This tree, however, has become her evil demon tree that is making her itch. I hear about this tree several times a day now. Tonight I said that I knew what was making her itch -- the mailbox. I had to give that poor tree a break. What will be strange is if it ends up being that tree causing the itch. Doubtful, but always possible.

carolelpage, I'll have to read about the myeloma. She has had several blood workups, but I don't know if they were looking for anything except the normal chemistry.

1 3 4